I've kinda determined 3.5 grains of Titegroup with a OAL of 1.455 is something I should … Some adjustments will have to be made for FMJ. in spite of the incontrovertible fact that doing issues this form you finally end up with 2 lack luster plenty might desire to as nicely spend the 20 dollars and purchase a pound of powder for each. Moving on to .38 Special, it is impossible to come up with something that hasn’t been said many times over in the past 118 years. 100+ in Stock $ 49. Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. I have not used jacketed in my 38 for quite awhile, but when I did my notes show I liked Unique at about 5 grains with the 158 gr JSP. No matter what shooting enthusiasts say, the .38 Special is here to stay. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to: I generally load my plated bullets with Trail Boss. None of my friends with progressive presses can say that. Smith & Wesson’s first .38 used .76-inch cases, with the company’s second .38 lengthened considerably to 1.16 inches. The problem is you can accidetally get a double charge - even a tripple charge - and it looks like a single charge. Do you agree that “hunting is as natural as bird-watching” (para. Don't have Lyman manual yet (on the way-Backordered). SDS-017 - (Primed empty Cartridge Cases Small Arms Ammunition - All calibers), SDS-001 - (Handgun and Rifle Cartridges - All calibers up to .500), SDS-011 - (Small Arms Ammunition Rimfire Cartridges). I have always treated plated the same as cast, if for no other reason than that neither bullet generally wants to driven too fast. JHP ... ----- 158 grain Lead RNFP or SWC COWBOY load Trail Boss 2.7 gr. Thread starter TPod; Start date Nov 14, 2019; TPod. So I don't know if I need to put more powder in the charge or put a better crimps on it? Outside for plinking, I like the combination of 4.5 grains of Bullseye with any 110-grain bullet from Speer, Hornady or Sierra at around 900 fps with a mild report and a flat trajectory. To modern shooters focusing on handgun precision, it might seem fantastic to expect any sort of performance from a bullet expanding .018 inch before engaging the rifling. Full Metal Jacket projectiles are the ideal choice for training, target shooting and general range use. During this same time frame, Smith & Wesson was not quiescent in regard to .38 handguns. I wouldn't use a powder that did what you report. I went to Hodgdons, not data for Berry's/CFE pistol data. At about the same time, Colt did the same thing with the .38 Special, calling it the .38 Colt Special – again the only difference in factory loads being a flatnose on the 158-grain bullet. The specific handguns meant for this use were Smith & Wesson’s Heavy Duty (later, Model 20) and Outdoorsman (later, Model 23) and Colt’s SAA and New Service. 38 Special load data. (It could be a misprint!) One thing i always do when trying a new load is compare data for the same cartridge between 2 or more books and manufacturers data on the net. A magnum primer will drive a 158 gr LSWC almost completely out of a 4" barrel. Standard lead core with a metallic jacket. I began handloading when the standard .38 Special factory load was the 158-grain RNL. why aren’t 20 inch barrel ar 15s popular anymore? It was first chambered in a small, top-break revolver that gained the nickname “Baby Russian.” Instead of performing tricks, like having oversized barrels combined with heel-base or hollowbase bullets, the firm designed the new round to take .360-inch bullets with their full diameter extended inside cartridge cases. 99. They weren't whimpy on recoil but somewhere in the middle. Most years I load 5K to 6K of ammo - some, when I am in competition I will get up to 15K of ammo in a season - but I do it all on a single stage press. 804 FPS Maximum *Blackhorn 209 11.7 gr. This way if there is a typo - you don't pay for it with a blown up gun. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy. .38 Special - Manufacturer Loading Data. The .38 Special provides a no stress adventure into the hobby of reloading. 38 SPECIAL FMJ V311412 158 GRS . Looking at the Hodgdon site I found this loading for 38 special +P 158 GR. Will a backpacker's water filter make alkali/gypsum water safe to drink? You need two manuals. 5. Since black powder loading for Old West handgun cartridges is covered in depth in my book, Shooting Sixguns of the Old West, the accompanying table only shows chronograph results with smokeless propellants. It was simply the .38 S&W in all respects, except its bullets were flatnose. With a wide variety of jacketed and lead bullets available, the .38 Special is still a joy to shoot and reload. 1 2 3. A load that duplicates .38-44s is 11.0 grains of Alliant 2400 with 150-to 158-grain SWC, RN or RNFP bullets. Do you need a dehydrator to make deer jerky? So after I got that out I shot another one and once again I got a bullet stuck in the barrel. Moving to .38 Colt handguns made in the smokeless-powder era but still with grossly oversized bore dimensions, the best handloading route with modern powders is hollowbase bullets. Standard lead core with a metallic jacket. Exiting a 4-inch barrel at about 750 fps, this load’s primary virtue is good accuracy and light recoil. Obviously in my newness I have massive holes in my knowledge. Available in a wide variety of calibers and bullet weights along with supersonic and subsonic options where applicable. 358156 148-grain SWC-HP, (2) Buffalo Arms Custom 158 HB/RN, (3) Lyman 358477 150 SWC, (4) Lyman 358665 158 RN/FP and (5) Lyman 358430 200 RN. For example, my 1969 .357 Magnum SAA’s barrel slugs .354 inch. .38 Special: Warning! 99. Lyman is one of the few companies that produce both reloading and bullet casting products. That same load gets 850 fps in my Marlin 1894C and is pretty quiet without a suppressor, seemed significantly quieter than … Interestingly enough, none of those revolvers were caliber stamped “.38-44.” All were still just labeled “.38 Special.” These were the precursors to .357 Magnums and pushed 158-grain bullets 1,200 fps. For example, you can cast your own bullets, use jacketed bullets for more serious situations, and even load the .38 Special to higher +P velocities. In those days, firearms manufacturers were fond of designating caliber by a barrel’s land diameter instead of its groove diameter. Loaded 4.3gr of 231 with an OAL of 1.455. I did see high pressure signs at 6.2 grains with a heavy crimp on the 6 I fired and tossed those cases in the scrap bin. While it has been overrun by newer, high performance cartridges for hunting, home defense or casual shooting, it is still hard to beat the Special. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...en-bullet-is-not-listed.791254/#post-10068925, https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/9mm-124gr-berrys-flat-points.498518/#post-6195350, (You must log in or sign up to reply here.). I figure that if the sound of the .38 Special will not thwart a problem, the power of the .357 will. . The .38 Special factory loads include a (1) standard 158-grain RN, (2) U.S. military 130-grain FMJ and a (3) .38 Special 200-grain RN. 38 Special - NORMA 158 Grain FMJ. The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet. This pistol uses the .38 Special with a Remington wadcutter bullet seated flush with the case mouth. Very rarely when reloading are you using the exact same bullet, primer brand, case manufacturer, etc. Hornady The revolvers are delightful little double actions, but the cartridge, as copied by the Brits, was simply the .38 S&W of the Super Police variety with a 200-grain bullet fired at a velocity of about 650 fps. Best for training and target shooting applications. I have the lyman reloading book and according to it I should start with 2.8 grains of clays. You would be surprised to see the difference between info sources for the same round using the same powder. Still have questions? Unique, Universal, 231, Bullseye, Titegroup, Titewad and about 65 million other powders will all do well in the 38; it is really easy to find load data: Who? I'm planning on using 158 grain RNFP coated bullets with Titegroup. Author: Stan Trzoniec / Wolfe Publishing Co. Do you have the correct size bar for the powder charge weight you're using? Berry's gives advice on their website. There is nothing wrong with that; when I go hiking in search of the perfect photograph or hunting in the woods with my S&W Model 19, I load a couple of .38s first, followed by .357 Magnums. Fyi - I have been reloading since 1976 on a single stage press. by JOHN_E » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 pm, Post Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next > 38 SPECIAL FMJ V311412 158 GRS . For this system to work in .36-caliber percussion revolver barrels, a bullet’s full diameter needed to be at, or in excess of, .375 inch. If not there are a LOT of published books out there that will not only help, but assist you in learning. This means you can get the lead data mixed with the jacketed ammo data. i cant speak on clays but i have had good results using unique. I like Lee's reloading book, once you get past the sales pitch that is the front half of the book. Since its inception more than a century ago, between available guns, bullets, powders and reloading equipment, there is no better way to start handloading. 3 grains of Clays under a 158 LSWC is a pretty standard target load. You can sign in to vote the answer. Discussion in 'Handloading and Reloading' started by old2load, Oct 14, 2020. According to U.S. Cartridges and Their Handguns 1795-1975 (1977) by Charles R. Suydam, original rounds of .38 Colt heel-base factory loads carried bullets from .378 inch to .381 inch in diameter. Suydam wrote that the last catalog mention of a “.38 flat point Colt Special” load was by Remington in 1955. 100+ in Stock $ 79. Palmettostatearmory, Other plated bullet manufactures recommend using cast bullet load data. Let’s look at .38 S&W at this point. Load data is intended for use only by competent persons experienced in the proper and safe practice of handloading ammunition. Finally, there is a specialized .38 Special handload also requiring special revolvers (pun intended) acceptable for .38-44 factory loads that arrived in 1930.

Tubifex Worms Vs Bloodworms, Lululemon Mission Statement 2020, Voltron Paladins Height Chart, Bruce Mcavaney Family, John Proctor Essay The Crucible,