Another option is to bring an extra swim cap and wear it under your event swim cap which can help keep your head warmer. If you are swimming with a slow current then you are going to go slower than if you are swimming with a faster current. Looking for information on the event including packet pick up, schedule of events, or refunds? There was only one problem: I wasn’t quite sure I could swim the 1.5 miles across shark infested open ocean water with huge choppy waves and some of the strongest currents anywhere in the world. PARKING: The best place for participants and spectators to park is Ft. Mason Center ($10/all day) located on Marina Blvd. Hold on to your goggles as you jump from the ferry as they can sometimes easily pop off as you hit the water. You will check-in on race day morning in the Senior Center (first floor of the Maritime Museum at Aquatic Park). It is perfectly legal to grab the nose of a kayak and wait out a cramp, get your breathing under control, etc. Unfortunately, the ferries will not have room for your friends and family members. Just to the right of that prominent skyline view, is the iconic Alcatraz. He who controls himself is mightier still.”, Grand Dynamics International © 2018 All Rights Reserved, The Leader in Experiential Training and Development. There are no essential vaccination requirements for the United States, but you should check again eight weeks prior to travel. A smart athlete will know when it's not their day. The event is limited and sells out months in advance every year so don't wait too long to register! You will be required to show a photo ID to receive your timing chip & swim cap. I was pretty fit. These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation. The faster everyone disembarks, the sooner the race can start. In addition to 'normal' daily clothes, you will need to bring the following: *Try to bring one clear lens and one tinted lens for different light conditions. Swimming from Alcatraz is no joke and many reports tell of undertow currents so strong in places that your feet literally get sucked down underneath you. It was in a 1.5-mile open water race called Sharkfest Alcatraz. What’s the first thing you think of when you think Alcatraz? A kayaker will come to you and discuss your options. Keep informed of current travel health news by visiting Travel Health Pro. © 2020 Race Roster. There was only one problem: I wasn’t quite sure I could swim the 1.5 miles across shark infested open ocean water with huge choppy waves and some of the strongest currents anywhere in the world. A couple noteworthy strategies I learned that are critical for ocean water swimming. You may swim around to warm up behind the start line, but keep in mind, everything starts rather quickly -- 6 to 8 minutes after we start disembarkation. Remember that one small step will lead to the next, and the next…. INCENTIVES: T-Shirts for all participants. Did I mention sharks? Now it's YOUR turn! This means that you can either attempt the escape by yourself, or share the experience with friends. Enter the authentication code from an app instead. And I will be the first to tell you that I do things in water because it is challenging, not because it is my element. Who cares?!! CANCELLATIONS: Registrations are non-refundable. There will not be private changing facilities available. Mind these instructions. Make sense? account information? Send a text message instead. Well that didn’t really give me the skill or courage I was looking for. Personalized award plaques will also be mailed to the top three finishers in each age group. Please contact your travel agent for further details on getting there. Just keep going. Swim away from the boat immediately after entering the water to make way for the next participants. Every swimmer dreams of making the ultimate "ESCAPE" from the historical island prison located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay! As a consequence, open water swimming holidays require a certain degree of on-trip flexibility which can result in changes to the planned itinerary. Grand Dynamics International (GDI) is the leader in experiential training and development. As I reflected on how I did it, I realize that I had “chunked down the change.”   As adventurous as I am, my decision to swim from Alcatraz was based on a series of smaller, incremental steps. But it was Alcatraz! UPDATE (as of 8/06/2020 3:00PM): This event was originally scheduled for Sunday June 14, 2020 and has now been postponed until June 5, 2021. Yes you can wear a full body swim suit or skin suit, but if you do you will be placed in the "Wetsuit" category as it is still considered to be a swim aid to help you swim faster. Therefore, we encourage you to read this privacy policy carefully. You'll always be welcome to come back and try again. In June of this year, 2011, Grand Dynamics International secured a new office on Treasure Island in San Francisco to offer unique trainings and events to the San Francisco and Silicon Valley markets. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. Swimming in the sea is a fantastic experience but you need to be aware that certain marine life such as jellyfish, sea urchins and coral could be present during the swims. Our training and development programs are fun, unique, highly impactful and contribute directly to increased bottom-line business results. They Up-to-date visa information can be found here. T-Shirts for all participants. It is also advisable to check if you require a visa to enter the United States. You may backstroke, or swim with your head out of the water until your comfortable to swim freestyle again.If you feel that you cannot complete the swim or you need the assistance of a kayaker, stay put and put one arm straight up in the air. “Yes, I can do that,” I told myself. Deciding to do something is 80% of what holds you back in the first place. Lately I have been thinking about and reminded that I have control of my own emotional state. So two days before the race I called a local expert to set up an “evaluation” of my abilities. Every swimmer dreams of making the ultimate "ESCAPE" from the historical island prison located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay! Feeling the waves and being in synch with the stroke and my body was incredible. No accommodation is included in the tour cost. For example, if the faster current is flowing on the inland side, then your goal is to get to that stream as quickly as possible. If you aim too far right, you'll end up west of the entrance, swimming in place against an unbeatable current and trying to get back. SwimTrek Coronavirus (COVID-19) update and FAQ. Quite simply, be in good shape. Wait. First and probably foremost is a thing called “sighting.” What is sighting? Ocean waves can be three feet high requiring a skill I call troth swimming. Alcatraz! What seemed like a flash was forty-two minutes later. What a truly amazing opportunity! A couple things occurred when I began to spend time in the office on a daily basis. It's just the adrenaline rush of race day paired with the shock of the cold bay water. Stay calm, stroke, glide, breathe, twist, site, rinse, repeat! You will then be taken by boat to Alcatraz where you will begin your swim. Be the fish. If you are staying within San Francisco, Warren may pick you up from your accommodation. I did what most Americans would do first – I watched you tube videos on how to open water swim. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly. Alcatraz! Aside from that the only other species that live in these waters are sting rays, sturgeon and bullheads. It turns out that that swimming from Alcatraz is quite the iconic challenge for San Francisco. Will there be restrooms or changing facilities on race day morning? You might also want to look at a price comparison site such as Skyscanner. A kayaker will come to you and discuss your options. Race Roster takes Don't hesitate to take the measures you need to finish your swim.A smart athlete will know when it's not their day. More information is available by visiting the SwimTrek Travel Advice page. 28th Annual. De-selecting these cookies may result in poorly-tailored recommendations OK Now what to do with that whole week I had to train? across the street from the Safeway. You may backstroke, or swim with your head out of the water until your comfortable to swim freestyle again. It closed as a federal prison in 1963 and is now a desolate outpost just 10 miles off San Francisco's Presidio Park. 'Escape' from the world's most notorious prison, Navigate the challenging and choppy cross currents, Detailed briefing that unlocks the secrets of this iconic swim, One-of-a-kind sea-level views of the majestic Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco skyline, The swim that many still believe is impossible to complete.

Emily Castro Wedding, Geffen Yacht Cost, Vts Vs Vgs Reddit, Brittny Gastineau Net Worth, Build A 2021 Traverse, Gracias Spelling Accent, Falling In Love With God Quotes, Queen Of Broken Hearts Lyrics, Axolotl Tank Mates, How To Fix A Broken Chair Back, How To Reverse Memory Loss After Anesthesia, Deviantart Stamp Maker, Ps Vita Keeps Disconnecting From Pc, What Are The Likely Outcomes If A Change Control Process Is Not Used Why, Hiroshima Carp Vs Hanshin Tigers Prediction, Guadalajara Airport Zip Code, Schooled Full Book Pdf, Sippin' On Private Stock Meaning, Santillana Spanish 1 Workbook Pdf, Grep Command In Unix, Kenos Meaning Greek, Ottoman Empire Religion Essay, Hack Game App Ios, Male Oc Reborn As An Uchiha Fanfiction, Pet Adoption Thesis Statement, City Heat Motorcycle Club, Lg Un7300 Rtings, End Stage Fiv Symptoms, Unblocked Movies At School Google Sites 2018, Pioneer Dmh 220ex Wiring Diagram, Luncheon Vouchers 1980s, Midnight Alesso Lyrics Meaning, Flying Tiger Build Your Own Digger Instructions, Hyundai Genesis Coupe Speaker Size, Bernedoodles For Sale South Carolina, Striped Carnation Meaning, Tale Of The Whale Menu, Pathfinder Oyster Mushroom, Molly Griggs Born,