Let's listen to one version. ✨✨✨✨✨✨✨ Joining us to talk about "Amor Eterno" is artist and activist Martha Gonzalez. She's also the lead singer of the alternative rock band Quetzal. While urban legend says the song is about Durcal’s son, who died in an accident in Acapulco, Gabriel wrote “Amor Eterno” in honor of his mother, who died in 1974. I was at Lila Downs concert and heard this song ... (María de los Ángeles de las Heras Ortiz), Start-Up (OST) - 어느 날 우리 (One Day) (eoneu nal uli). GARCIA-NAVARRO: And then the words at the end, (speaking Spanish), sooner or later, I will be with you. GARCIA-NAVARRO: This song has been played and sung many times at vigils and memorials in El Paso since last week's attack, in some cases, spontaneously. I've suffered quite much over your absence. Copyright 2020 NPR. Joining us to talk about "Amor Eterno" is artist and activist Martha Gonzalez. GARCIA-NAVARRO: And then the words at the end, (speaking Spanish), sooner or later, I will be with you. "And, in my opinion, it's not just an act of grief but also an act of protest and saying that, 'We're here and we're not going anywhere. ", "Amor Eterno" has been played and sung many times at vigils and memorials in El Paso since last week's attack — in some cases spontaneously. GONZALEZ: Well, I think that, you know, when a community takes it up, it's because it just resonates with them, you know? And the loss of his mother, actually, is what drove him to write "Amor Eterno.". In 1984, renowned Mexican singer and songwriter Juan Gabriel wrote a ballad that would become the most-played song at memorials and funerals in his home country. The time I've been suffering since your goodbye. People attend a candlelight prayer vigil outside Immanuel Baptist Church, located near the scene of the mass shooting on August 5, 2019 in El Paso, Texas. "He's really describing depression. Welcome. Translation of 'Amor eterno' by Juan Gabriel from Spanish to English ... Amor eterno (English translation) Artist: Juan Gabriel; Also performed by: Pedro Fernández; ... a meaning love with you . UNIDENTIFIED SINGER: (Singing in Spanish). I have so suffered from your absence. GONZALEZ: It really is, you know, and I think that is why he's so adored is that he always, although he takes you to the very mournful process and the feelings of lost love or actual death, he always leaves you with a sense of hope in the end. The album and song became a massive hit, with the album being introduced into the Latin Grammy Hall of Fame. Enjoyed everywhere, I look at myself in the mirror and see in my face, Well, I'm always thinking about yesterday, Que tus ojitos jamás se hubieran cerrado nunca, Tarde o temprano estaré contigo para seguir... amándonos, Sooner or later I will be with you to continue... loving us, I have suffered so much because of your absense. UNIDENTIFIED SINGER: (Singing in Spanish). "How I wish that you still lived that your precious eyes had never closed so that I could see them eternal love unforgettable." I'll come back and make note of them later. '", In 1984, renowned Mexican singer and songwriter Juan Gabriel wrote a ballad, a ballad that would become the most played song at memorials and funerals in his home country. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org. You know, he was an effeminate man born very poor in Paracuaro, Michoacan, but his mother moved to Ciudad Juarez later in life. Gonzalez cites that la canción ranchera as a genre has always been used to express "our grief and our joys and our triumphs. "I think that you know when a community takes it up it's because it just resonates with them," professor, artist and activist Martha Gonzalez says. Welcome. GONZALEZ: Well, to me, it's another example of how communities come together via song, right? MARTHA GONZALEZ: Hi. ", "Amor Eterno" has been played and sung many times at vigils and memorials in El Paso since last week's attack — in some cases spontaneously. Gonzalez, who teaches Chicano Studios at Scripps College and performs in the band Quetzal, describes Gabriel as "the most prominent singer, songwriter, composer that the 20th century has ever seen" and explains that the heartbreaking lyrics of "Amor Eterno" were inspired by the loss of his mother. GARCIA-NAVARRO: I'm OK. Juan Gabriel is a legend in Mexico. I would really like, ay, that you were alive. Besides the lyric of the song Amor Eterno in english, you will also find Amor Eterno translated into Portuguese, French, German or … To me, it's a way in which the community is not only sonically taking up space as the Mexicanos that we are and making ourselves present in our grief and singing collectively this song that resonates with so many people and it's an act of - in my opinion, it's not just an act of grief but also an act of protest and saying that we're here and we're not going anywhere. It's called "Amor Eterno" or "Love Eternal." this past weekend that resulted in the death of 22 people, Gabriel's ballad has taken on new poignancy. UNIDENTIFIED SINGER: (Singing in Spanish). Everybody knows what this song is and people will start crying before they even hear the lyrics.". "How I wish that you still lived that your precious eyes had never closed so that I could see them eternal love unforgettable." Эстафета - это что-то надо передавать... Clearly my Russian is barely adequate, so take ... Hola, por favor agrega los siguientes artistas: ... sich schon sehr auf etwas Leckeres freuen... Bang Data - Amor Califas (California Love) lyrics request. Mario Tama/Getty Images this past weekend that resulted in the death of 22 people, Gabriel's ballad has taken on new poignancy. Translation for 'amor eterno' in the free Spanish-English dictionary and many other English translations. UNIDENTIFIED SINGER: (Singing in Spanish). MARTHA GONZALEZ: Hi. In 1984, renowned Mexican singer and songwriter Juan Gabriel wrote a ballad that would become the most-played song at memorials and funerals in his home country. GARCIA-NAVARRO: During this past week, this song has taken on new poignancy in El Paso. Gonzalez, who teaches Chicano Studios at Scripps College and performs in the band Quetzal, describes Gabriel as "the most prominent singer, songwriter, composer that the 20th century has ever seen" and explains that the heartbreaking lyrics of "Amor Eterno" were inspired by the loss of his mother. Let's listen to one version. To me, it's a way in which the community is not only sonically taking up space as the Mexicanos that we are and making ourselves present in our grief and singing collectively this song that resonates with so many people and it's an act of - in my opinion, it's not just an act of grief but also an act of protest and saying that we're here and we're not going anywhere. You know, it's a comforting thought for so many people. He's really describing depression because there's a moment in the song where he says I'd rather be asleep than awake because it just hurts so badly to know that you're not here. In 1984, renowned Mexican singer and songwriter Juan Gabriel wrote a ballad that would become the most-played song at memorials and funerals in his home country. And he was even homeless and orphaned for a while. It's called "Amor Eterno" or "Love Eternal. GARCIA-NAVARRO: What's been your reaction to hearing that song played in what is now the deadliest attack targeting Latinos in modern American history? Juan Gabriel is really the most prominent singer, songwriter, composer that the 20th century has ever seen, and Mexico gave him to us. In 1984, renowned Mexican singer and songwriter Juan Gabriel wrote a ballad that would become the most-played song at memorials and funerals in his home country. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org. Gabriel himself would go on to perform it. ", "To me it's a way in which the community is not only sonically taking up space as the Mexicanos that we are and making ourselves present in our grief and singing collectively the song that resonates with so many people," she says. I mean, there were so many things that he endured, and I think that we hear that in his music. I could feel the pain of someone so close passing away. Translate Amor eterno. And he was even homeless and orphaned for a while. "He's really describing depression. "But in the wake of a mass shooting in El Paso, Tex. "He's really describing depression. She's also the lead singer of the alternative rock band Quetzal. She's also the lead singer of the alternative rock band Quetzal. ", "Amor Eterno" has been played and sung many times at vigils and memorials in El Paso since last week's attack — in some cases spontaneously. His funeral just a few years ago was attended by millions. From that day until today I am not happy. this past weekend that resulted in the death of 22 people, Gabriel's ballad has taken on new poignancy. and I see the time I've suffered from your goodbyes, as since that day I have not at all been glad, the same lonely as you over there in your sepulchre, you are the saddest memory I've got as ever. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR. “Cómo quisiera que tú vivieras— Rocío Dúrcal, You will get 3 free months if you haven't already used an Apple Music free trial, Made with love & passion in Italy. But in the wake of a mass shooting in El Paso, Tex. '", In 1984, renowned Mexican singer and songwriter Juan Gabriel wrote a ballad, a ballad that would become the most played song at memorials and funerals in his home country. Gabriel sings. She's also the lead singer of the alternative rock band Quetzal. this past weekend that resulted in the death of 22 people, Gabriel's ballad has taken on new poignancy. GONZALEZ: Absolutely. In 1984, renowned Mexican singer and songwriter Juan Gabriel wrote a ballad that would become the most-played song at memorials and funerals in his home country. Thank you very much. GARCIA-NAVARRO: How did it become a song used at funerals? "As soon as you hear that first line ... everybody knows what you're talking about.

Is Shad Worth It, Where To Buy Blumond Blue Bubbly Near Me, Dorothy Steele Wife Of Robert Beatty, 1969 Nova Ss 396 4 Speed, Combine Cooking Definition, Doris Lessing Wins Nobel Prize In Literature, Lan Fendors Age, Jindo Dog For Sale, Kimberly Meaning In Hebrew,