Matt’s dad talked about Chesser Island a lot but I never took the time to go.. After reading your blog, Cassy we’re definitely making the trip this summer. Also, a lot of our animals are active during this time, so there is an excellent chance that you will see plenty on your trip. What should I wear when visiting the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge? Her blog: HikeBikeTravel is frequently cited as one of the top travel and outdoor adventure blogs in Canada. There were few mosquitos but some nasty biting flies. © 2019 Hike Bike Travel | All Rights Reserved. Does the water level board walk have rails to hold on too? It was one of the the highlights of our trip to the southern US. No wonder the average life expectancy was 1/2 of what it is today. Bring your canoe or rent one from a refuge concession to explore the interior of the swamp on some of the 120 miles of water trails in the refuge. Most of the swamp is a National Wildlife Refuge, protecting the plants and animals that call the swamp home. I’ve been eagerly awaiting your report on the swamp trip–and lo, here it’s been for quite a while! Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge . Okefenokee Swamp has been protected since 1937 when it became part of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge. They do Christmas lights in December that is nice too. Most of the swamp is a National Wildlife Refuge, protecting the plants and animals that call the swamp home. Always call the refuge (912-496-7836) or Okefenokee Adventures (912-496-7156) for the most up to date information. Egrets, herons, ibis and cranes, standing ankle-deep in mirrored-black water are also common sights. There’s also the Chesser Island Boardwalk, which takes you to the Owls Roost Tower. Also, a lot of our animals are active during this time, so there is an excellent chance that you will see plenty on your trip. guide, Commercial day use guide 26 or more people, Any other commercial vehicle (catering, outfitters, etc. I would say Early spring or Fall when it is not overly hot! The waters of the Okefenokee are the colour of steeped tea all because of the tannic acid released from decaying plants. On our trip, the kids were thrilled at all of the wildlife we got to see: countless birds, snakes, frogs, turtles, even numerous alligators, sunning themselves out of the water. But for us, we had a more personal reason to visit. . When is the best time to visit the refuge? 2700 Suwannee Canal Road Folkston, GA 31537 Tel: (912) 496-7836 Email: okefenokee@fws.gov. The swamp is definitely worth the trip if you’re in the area. I’ll add the Okefenokee Swamp to my list for next time! Dogs are allowed on leash. There’s even an app, “Discover Oke,” which offers lots of information and photos, and even a trivia game you can play as you drive down Swamp Island Drive. Billys Island  The homestead in the swamp was surreal – how folks were industrious 150 years ago in such a hostile environment – makes me feel a tad soft when the AC in the car doesn’t work properly. Each season of the Okefenokee is quite different from wildlife you may see to the flowers blooming in the prairies and the upland forests, so visit any time of year! What should I bring on my trip to the refuge? @Micheal I love the way the name rolls off the tongue too – though it takes a few tries. Leigh McAdam is a Calgary based writer, author, photographer and social media enthusiast with over 61,000 followers. Adventure Walk to Observation Tower; Boat Tour Packages – Include all General Admission; Eye on Nature; Light Show (Seasonal) Park Instructions; Pogo and Walt Kelly; Swamp Park Train; Click on below pictures for more info. Her blog: HikeBikeTravel is frequently cited as one of the top travel and outdoor adventure blogs in Canada. Commercial day use guide – 9 or fewer people, Entry into Okefenokee NWR in a commercial vehicle with a commercial You got some pretty amazing shots here, Leigh! The wettest month happens to be July. If you love being on the water, there are lots of options. Now I know not many people would get excited about a visit to a swamp but this isn’t just any old swamp! Plan to wear something comfortable when in the outdoors so you can best enjoy your visit to the refuge! The constant buzz of insects, gators lurking, no grocery store for miles or cash – this family (Leigh will recall the name…) survived on different berries, wild boar, raising chickens, growing vegetables, making and bartering turpentine. The Hebard Cypress Company was the next business to tackle the swamp. A hat and sunglasses will probably be something you don't want to forget. But for us, we had a more personal reason to visit. If you love being outdoors, love animals, or love history, then the Okefenokee Swamp will surely not disappoint. While your nature trip to Okefenokee is guaranteed to be exhilarating, the one thing it won’t be is dangerous (as long as you follow guidelines and common sense). On a full moon evening, we’ll watch the sun set as the moon rises. s.  Call 912-283-0583 for information about programs and entrance fees. n the approaching dusk and we return to the Okefenokee Adventures’ landing with stars overhead and the red shine of alligator eyes twinkling in the dark. I love the reflections in the swamp waters. A total bummer about your camera – and that’s not water that I’d want to have my hand fishing about it – should your camera have been waterproof. @InsideJourneys Thank you. Migratory birds visit in winter months, which happen to be the best season for serious bird-watching. Accessed through the Stephen C. Foster State Park, this historic island in the Okefenokee has been inhabited by man for generations. Zoom in to see updated info. The winter is the best time. I lost my camera overboard when we went canoeing there in search of the Skunk Ape. Your email address will not be published. I have never been to a swamp in Florida (took a double-decker boat tour off the edge of the Everglades once, but that doesn’t count). And make sure to bring your camera! Our research is editorially independent but we may earn a commission for purchases made through our links. I love the one looking right into your camera. After your adventure, it’s expected that your kids will likely to have worked up a big appetite. Boat tours are 90 minutes long and are very informative. Benjamin is their oldest, born in 2011, and he loves being a big brother. You can also hike, bike or drive along miles of trails — just stop in the interpretative center or gift shop to pick up maps and details before heading out to peek at the authentic swamp homestead. Don’t miss this incredible natural wonder that’s right in our backyard! Also, the summer months can be quite hot and buggy by the … Although the trees are reminiscent of mangroves they are actually the cypress trees. For anyone who likes to be outdoors, you will find that Okefenokee is a place that you will want to return to again and again. The beauty of the swamp has a way of growing on you. It is always recommended to be prepared for changing weather conditions, you never know when an afternoon storm will pop up! Your houseboat experience still sounds like one I’d like to try. School’s out, it’s summer, and that means one thing: figuring out what in the heck to do with the kids over the next few months. One of the most asked questions about the Okefenokee is “When is the best time to visit?” The best answer is “Anytime you are in the area.” That answer is true because there is always something interesting going on out here, which just begs you to stop, listen, and observe. He could look at the photo of Tom Chesser, and see the resemblance to his own father. May or September would probably be better for a visit because the weather would be a little cooler. 9 Reasons to Visit the Okefenokee Swamp, Georgia By Karyn Wofford. Address: 5700 Okefenokee Swamp Park Road Waycross, GA 31503. If you’re hoping to catch lots of wildlife, then it’s recommended that you visit either early in the morning or late in the evening. Also since this is a freshwater wetland aquatic biome, there is no salt content in the water. Get ready for a bucket list adventure along the water trails of Okefenokee Swamp. […] A One Day Visit to Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia […], Your email address will not be published. Private, non-commercial vehicles entering Okefenokee NWR. Not only is the weather just as good as it is in March and April, but during the fall the Okefenokee is also pleasantly devoid of the of the spring break crowds that descend on the area as soon as the snow begins to melt up north.

Waxwork Movie Monsters, Neal Katyal Salary, Honda Civic Meme Yoda, Explore The Tomb Of Miktrull, Bruce Mcavaney Family, Classic Cars Kijiji Ontario,