Looking for the perfect name? I always loved this but I'm celiac and it's likely my children could also be, so I can't have Celia the celiac. Granted those are the most common ways of pronouncing it, it still bothers me. I wouldn't recommend naming your child Celia; I'm slightly upset with my parents giving me this name. Back in 1974, David was by far the most popular name for newborns, with one in every 20 baby boys called it. The existing Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who do not subscribe to Independent Premium. It allows our most engaged readers to debate the big issues, share their own experiences, discuss real-world solutions, and more. See the popularity of the girl's name Celina over time, plus its meaning, origin, common sibling names, and more in BabyCenter's Baby Names tool. Celia is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "heavenly". Celya, 160+ Sweet Old Lady Names Rooted In Tradition, 110+ Unique Middle Names For Your One-Of-A-Kind Baby Girl, 25+ Chinese Girl Names So Pretty Your Heart Will Melt, 90+ Cool Nicknames For Little Loves (And Big Loves, Too), 100+ Unique Middle Names For Your Baby Boy You’ll Actually Love, Patriotic Baby Names Inspired By Memorial Day. I love the name Celia. Lily Less frillier than Cecilia or Cecily and it's now my #1! Most of the top 10 baby names of 2007 have declined in popularity, with the names Thomas, Daniel, Ruby, Grace, Jessica and Chloe all given to at least 50% fewer babies in 2017 than they were 10 years previously. by Anna. Create a commenting name to join the debate, There are no Independent Premium comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts, There are no comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts. Twenty babies in Britain named Adolf. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. If it's not them pronouncing it "sell-yah" or "seal-e-uh"! It reached its highest popularity RANKING of #141 in 1882. Would you like to follow Celia? I was actually primarily named from my grandfather's mother, and I think that is cool. I do happen to know many ways it can be used as a nickname like CC as previously commented or just plain sell-ee...as I am formerly called. It's too close to Celiac's for me to like it. Celia Birtwell’s mother’s name is unknown at this time and his father’s name is under review. All data changes at that time, including previous years, which will change minutely based on new information. My name is Celia and was one of many who was also named after my grandmother....and I too understand about the many different ways it can be mispronounced like sill-ee-uh or cecelia when its not! I was named for a distant relative, and it's only my white last name that lets people know I'm not a Latina :-) I really don't mind when people call me Cecilia, as I think that's beautiful, and if they say Selya, seelya, silya... well, I'd rather have that than be named "Beth"! ~~~~ Celia is a name that's been used primarily by parents who are considering baby names for girls. ---------- Otherwise, I find it pretty. © 2020 Wild Sky Media All rights reserved. Olivia was the favourite for girls born last year in the East of England and the East Midlands, while Muhammad was the favourite name for boys in the West Midlands and London. © 2020 Nameberry.com. Cel,Cielo Due to the sheer scale of this comment community, we are not able to give each post the same level of attention, but we have preserved this area in the interests of open debate. Celia's popularity has been moving downward for some time. Family. The poet Ben Jonson wrote "To Celia," the classic poem that begins, "Drink to me with thine eyes...". Other than that, is is not the most popular name in the United States, but I like how it is a name in foreign countries, like Cuba, and Spain, and I am not Cuban or Spanish. These replaced Lydia, Faith, Mollie, Brooke, Isabel and Amy. My name is Celia Cristina and I was named after my grandmother & Cuban salsa singer Celia Cruz. To rate names on Nameberry, please register for an account or log in to an existing account. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Celia, try our name generator. Ceilia, It's short, uncommon, sweet. It's precisely because I'm looking for names my future kids that are as strong as the one my parents gave me that I found this website! The most insightful comments on all subjects will be published daily in dedicated articles. These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Celia. But, the greatest number of babies were given the name in 1915 with 853 occurrences. You can find our Community Guidelines in full here. (I am Cuban, also.) Are you sure you want to mark this comment as inappropriate? How to use: Type names in … We use cookies to collect information from your browser to personalize content and perform site analytics. Celia is also used as a short form of Cecilia (blind, dim-sighted). Feminine form of the Roman family name CAELIUS. Data for a given year is not made available until well into the next year. Find out more about the name Celia at BabyNames.com. The meaning of heavenly is just beautiful, I love that it has such rich roots and usage in history and literature/arts; Celia just hits it out of the ballpark within all the categories I set when I look at names. Celia is the #863 ranked female name by popularity. Please continue to respect all commenters and create constructive debates. I was named for my grandmother. Cis /Sissy namecandy - Celebrity baby names, ask the Name Lady, & more. ------------------ Want an ad-free experience?Subscribe to Independent Premium. I'm not sure I can really use it though, because of c, and in Serbian, you read it as "tz" Unless I spell it like Silia, which I'm not a big fan of. Derived from the Latin Caelia, a feminine form of the old Roman family name Caelius, which is believed to be a derivative of the Latin caelum (heaven). Compared with ten years ago, the biggest increase in popularity of a boys' name now in the top ten is Oscar, which has soared up 45 places. It is a beautiful, timeless name and we are pleased with it and it fits her very well. I was actually primarily named from my grandfather's mother, and I think that is cool. PART OF WILD SKY MEDIA | Family & Parenting. Four new boys' names entered the 100 most popular – Jaxon, Roman, Reggie and Carter. Celia Bowen, a main character from the novel "The Night Circus.". Most people pronounce it Sil-yuh, when it should be pronounced See-lee-uh. We're excited that you have an opinion about the name Celia. I think it's an unattractive spelling. Of course since it did derive from the Latin origin I preffer having my name pronounced with a Spanish pronounciation like cel-ee-uh, but that's the way I preffer along with other Latina girls. Beautiful meaning, beautiful sound, it's not at all common and yet it's still recognisable and fairly easily spelled. Try the Celia is not a short form of Cecilia, which has a completely different meaning, and developed independently. Like others have said, I get a lot of either mispronunciation (mostly Cecilia) or misspelling (cilia) so I used to get frustrated with it when I was younger. Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2014, Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014, French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France 2014, Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008, Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010, Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012, Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain. I think the nickname Cell-ee has a much prettier and more feminine vibe to it for many of you who may be called Celia and feel they can be more comfortable with the name...I know I do, its because of that nickname that I really enjoy my name. Not many of us and it can be pronounced with totally different ways, and has a lot of nicknames, too. Alternate pronunciation (Spanish): SEEL-ee-uh England & Wales Baby Names Baby name trends in England & Wales from 1996 to 2019. Popularity statistics for the given name Celia Celia in France. Now I love it - it is found in so many languages and cultures, and I love the connection to my family history. Celia, splendidly sleek and feminine, is a name that was scattered throughout Shakespeare and other Elizabethan literature, but still manages to feel totally modern.

Hk33 Vs Hk53, Xlm Price Prediction 2030, Matthew Laborteaux Jeau Bennett Labyorteaux, Alexa Routine Multiple Conditions, Amana Ptac Revit, Savage 110 Models, Gm Part Number Cross Reference, What Happens When Someone Flatlines,