Examples of these projects include: This is the most common type of Follow-on Service Project students propose and can be very beneficial to increase study abroad participation at your home institution. %PDF-1.6 Students often propose to work with a specific on-campus office including the Diversity/Minority Services offices, Disability Services offices, Career Centers, Financial Aid offices, Student Leadership offices, and other campus offices. Working with/giving presentations on study abroad and the Gilman Scholarship to high school language or area studies classes. Participating in their local high school College Night to share information on study abroad opportunities and scholarships. are people, a community can be found. Try and settle on a few specific points that you can thoroughly discuss. Community essay prompts are appearing more and more on college applications. Get your creative juices flowing and get personal! �;� �� C0gq�(�h5/"�X�|�?�ߣ�5Ƞ���_`3���0N�0O`�)�A(��`C�c]�������`9?+X~�Ʋ�����};v����#�g�Kd�[��A��4Z�:Q݄��)^�a��?h(���s�y��'����X��^f�W�'��_����̷џ�?�Y��9�� i4�B�l���\f�:$q�=��f:V� [^����Nhb��R�~�c 4�r|3�?�Fl�,va/����S]��E�h��r�t�����5'�߰�$�8��X�5�;x���� ��h��TH�4�*�y�1��\�#{��'�2 ��+�Cm���h��k���5O���p�՘�F��j��=�[��q��0\��L��|�t m��;N�(�i8S!�i*ͤ'��V�Nz��t���u�J���81CT�z�(V�m�qZ\��(�W����#�|[�#�S�LU��"���v�P�Un*_)1��4T ������bs�l��\hn1�1�q�p6�����Pǝ���=�&���h�p��꽆(��V��sx�����nsq������i��1��4��i��f�J���:��J�9�g8K���J�[�N�[��Vq�W”6^�49I���r�\ W��E�s�G�Q�*�T�R��+˕��6e�rTyK��rY��a&C=��T��z�2m�lU����hr|��U��NEu+��K��azG���2Ds�~먎��%�_�Sq^]FU��jP���]�uհ8&���t[A��%�M?�D��c�A�(�$�)-�%�����Q�v�')��O8�*G However, we encourage all applicants to propose a unique Follow-on Service Project that highlights their individual background, experiences, talents and skills. This is my favorite way to make sure my sentences flow and to catch grammar or spelling errors. << Below is her video of her time abroad. The following is a sample of a successful Gilman essay submission. Working with a local teacher to connect with a U.S. classroom while abroad, via photos, letters, emails or Skype sessions, sharing information about their host country, experience abroad and the Gilman Scholarship. Importance Of Community Involvement In A Community 832 Words | 4 Pages. In no particular order, describe your Follow-on Service Project in more detail: What is your project and how will it increase awareness of study abroad and the Gilman Program among your peers in your home or campus community? Following the essay, I give a brief discussion of what I feel to be the strong points of this essay. As a U.S. citizen, how will you represent and share what it means to be an American during your program? Advisors It will help your writing become more conversational and readable. Submitting a weekly or monthly article on their experiences overseas to their campus or hometown newspaper while the students are abroad, thereby sharing information with a wide range of readers and including information on the Gilman Scholarship. Promoting and encouraging study abroad opportunities and the Gilman Scholarship through presentations to student clubs and organizations and through office organized events, Posting information on the Gilman Scholarship Program in specific campus offices, Adding a web page to the official website that highlights study abroad opportunities, the Gilman Scholarship, and information that would be of help/interest to students, Serving as an official representative at campus fairs and events by sharing information on study abroad and the Gilman Scholarship. The scholarship committee is going to read thousands of applications. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is a program of the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and supported in its implementation by the Institute of International Education (IIE). Representing the study abroad office and Gilman Scholarship at presentations/information sessions on study abroad. Listed below are some examples of projects Gilman Scholars have carried out. They made a huge difference in my life and I wanted to pass this knowledge and opportunity on. We strongly encourage you to read the Selection Criterion Community Impact Abroad & Student’s Return Home, carefully review your essay, and ask an advisor, faculty member, or others to proofread your essay for spelling, grammar, and content prior to submission. Working with/giving presentations on study abroad and the Gilman Scholarship to programs that mentor high school students, such as Upward Bound. Discuss what you can learn in the location you have chosen that you can’t learn at home because of the country’s politics, history, location, and so on. As a good rule of thumb: if someone else doesn’t understand what you are talking about in your essay, you need to revise it because neither will the scholarship committee. We strongly encourage you to read the Selection Criterion Community Impact Abroad & Student’s Return Home, carefully review your essay, and ask an advisor, faculty member, or others to proofread your essay for spelling, grammar, and content prior to submission. Ensuring the study abroad office website has a Scholarship Information page and that a link to the Gilman Scholarship Program’s website is provided. A new set of eyes will help catch any small mistakes you miss from staring at your essay for too long. Following the essay, I give a brief discussion of what I feel to be the strong points of this essay. As a Gilman Scholar, you get the opportunity to give back to the community, promote study abroad and the Gilman Scholarship, and make an impact on others who may be in situations similar to you. Propose a well-developed follow-on service project. I chose a project that would reach out to students who may be in similar positions as I was because study abroad and the Gilman Scholarships are opportunities that I wish I had known about early on. As part of your Gilman Scholarship application, you will write two essays. ]GP^���1�Jq�� ��}G�.���3(��TV�"@���־��or������=�}��p��4-N���V>�)�>f�W#�9_��[�_�Y�+�y?U�w����_�XQa���c5�Ç ��������Y��︴���֯o��z�Ju��LNJL���TE Presentations on study abroad and the Gilman Scholarship at academic club or honor society meetings. Submitting an article to their academic department newsletter on their experiences abroad and the Gilman Scholarship either while the student is still overseas or upon their return. Your essay should be composed in paragraph format, not as numbered responses to the questions in the application. For those applying for a Critical Need Language Award, an additional essay is required. 7,000 characters sounds like a lot, but with the amount of information that you need to get across, it ends up being challenging. GILMAN Scholarship Application “Community Impact” Essay Tips Fall 2019 Keys to a strong application essay: Answer all questions. stream Kyra Taubel-Bruce received the Gilman Scholarship to study abroad in Prague, Czech Republic in 2017. /Length1 5911 Identify and explain why you chose the specific community you will be reaching. Organizing information on study abroad programs that offer coursework and academic credit in their field of study and links to Gilman and other scholarships and financial aid information that support these opportunities. /Length 3742 Here are my top tips for making your essay stronger. Essay: I come from a background of mixed heritage:… Organizing and/or working with their university K-12 outreach program, to present and share information on their experience abroad and the Gilman Scholarship. View the Composing Competitive Essays video for additional resources and tips in writing competitive essays. Ensure that your essays address the prompt/theme. �Z��qg@� U�k�_:��M�����?�T�Z{�8Op��5�k�&���zƣX��O���K�5,]�fu��b�g q�ɧB����" �$�X�4��Q��� ���^[\Z{rɀ���`{o����Y����@� )hT8�]�H�!��-��N�J��J��6����U��G���v3�n���HG"�m�ԩ�1B���|��ۑ �w�Wc~�zl�yyp If you plan to study in a country where the language does not appear in the list above, what are the benefits of and resources for studying abroad in your proposed country. How do you intend to improve your language skills while studying abroad? Developing an informational flyer/brochure on university-specific financial aid procedures for study abroad and available scholarships, including the Gilman Scholarship which is then housed in the study abroad office. Show, don’t tell, a personal anecdote that gives background on who you are and why you should get this scholarship. Remember, all projects must promote international education and the Gilman Scholarship. The two community impact essays are equally important in the selection of Gilman Scholarship recipients. Volunteering or working in the study abroad office as a Peer Mentor/Advisor to potential study abroad students, sharing information about the Gilman Scholarship. This is where you get to let your personality shine so the scholarship committee gets to know you. Awards of CNLA in other countries will be considered for applicants making a strong case for studying a Critical Need language in an alternate location.

Ican Benefit Group Reviews, Songs About Dream Jobs, Last Valiant Guide, Honeydew Melon Bread Recipe, Beyond Black Oregon, Kate Nelligan Net Worth, Barres à Franchir Mots Fléchés, Car Lift Rental Ct, Fox Racing Jersey Supreme,