1.- Russell Baze US/US 9,549 Prior to joining HRTV, Laffit served as a sports anchor in New York and California. "The doctor recommended that I never ride again," Pincay said in a statement. They have three daughters, Trinity, Brandi, and Cassie, and one son, Gable. 1970) Son: Laffit Pincay III (b. Until 2006, he had ridden all but a handful of his winners in Brazil, the vast majority of them at the famous La Gavea racecourse in central Rio. "The game really needed something like that. 2.- Jorge Ricardo BRZ/ARG 9,531 Baze won his 10,000th race aboard Two Step Cat at Golden Gate Fields Feb. 1, 2008. "Pincay considers the 1979 Jockey Club Gold Cup with Affirmed his best race and best mount. Baze had 768 mounts compared to Dominguez's 897. Brazilian legend Jorge Ricardo rode the 9,531st winner of a distinguished career in Argentina on Boxing Day to move into second place on the all-time jockeys’ list. "I'm glad to hear that he retired. 3.- Laffit Pincay PAN/US 9,530 The 56-year-old Hall of Famer retired Tuesday after breaking his neck in a spill in March, ending a career in which he won a record 9,530 races. 4.- Bill Shoemaker US/US 8,833 But we always prepared ourselves for the worst. He's the one that told me to buy that horse," said Baffert, who is Pincay's neighbour in Arcadia, Calif. "He's a friend and when he got hurt it was really tough. "He wanted to ride at least two more years and he thought by then he would have ridden 10,000 winners," said Neil Papiano, Pincay's close friend and attorney. Linda Pincay, 37, the wife of jockey Laffit Pincay, died Sunday afternoon at Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, almost 48 hours after she apparently shot herself in the head at their Los Feliz home. Pincay married his first wife, Linda, in 1967. In 2000, he finished the year with 203 winners, the first time he reached the 200-plateau since 1991. © 2019 The Jockey Club Information Systems, Inc. & Thoroughbred Owners & Breeders Association , Inc. All rights reserved. In October 2007, he was loaned to ESPN to serve as the winner's … "He's the class of the class," Stevens said from Louisville, where he will ride in the Derby. Affirmed never lost again, winning his final seven starts by a combined 29½ lengths under Pincay. * Holds career record for wins. "Who would have thought 32 years ago a skinny, little kid with no experience would have been standing here today?" Jorge Ricardo, a Brazilian who is the world's leading active jockey, rode his 9,000th career winner by guiding Stud Alvarenga's three-year-old colt King Desejado to victory in Sunday's fourth race at Rio de Janeiro's La Gavea racecourse. Elected to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1999, Baze has won 11 national riding titles for most victories. Biography: The son of a Hall of Fame jockey, Laffit Pincay, III is one of the original members of HRTV's on-air talent stable, since the network's beginning in 2002. Remarkably free of serious injuries during a 36-year racing career, Baze's numbers have suffered a bit in the last couple of years due to the demolition of Bay Meadows and the state's horse shortage, which have cut into his number of starts. He is an actor, known for Inside Information (2006), Horse Racing TV (2002) and Preakness Stakes (2018). Rio-born Ricardo, known as ‘Ricardinho’ in his native Brazil, rode his first winner in November 1976. And I want to thank all my friends for their support.". Father of a son, Jean Laffit Pincay, with his second, and current, wife, Jeanine Dorn Pincay. Jockey Russell Baze rode into horse racing history on Friday when he overtook Laffit Pincay Jr. as Thoroughbred racing's all-time leading rider. I) with Devils Orchid in 1991. He was winning at better than a 21 percent clip -- highest among the track's riders. People started really paying attention to it.". He became North America's winningest jockey when he passed Laffit Pincay Jr.'s record of 9,530 winners in December 2006. II) Stakes. Since that time, he has carved his own niche as one of the sport's most respected personalities while filling a host of integral roles for HRTV. Ricardo has also appeared in Europe - once, when he partnered South American champion Much Better to finish 14th to Carnegie in the 1994 Arc. The injury changed those plans and the horse Pincay recommended that Baffert purchase will be ridden by 20-year-old Tyler Baze in his first Derby mount. He had been wearing a halo brace to heal. At an age when most athletes have long since retired, Laffit Pincay Jr. was perched in a saddle outriding jockeys young enough to be his grandsons. Lisa is the mother to his two grandchildren, Madelyn and Mason. Baze earned a special Eclipse Award in 1995 for winning more than 400 races four consecutive years. Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile, Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile. Separate Forest drew close to the leader on the turn, took over at the top of the lane, and cruised home under a hand ride by 11 lengths over Ocean Hawk. He also won the Belmont in 1982 with Conquistador Cielo and in '83 with Caveat. II) and Carry Back (gr. Separate Forest ($5.40) broke best in the 5 1/2-furlong dirt test but settled into second on the outside of Ocean Hawk. He won his Brazilian jockeys’ title in 1982 – and retained the title every year until he moved permanently to Argentina in June this year in a bid to find more opportunities in the chase to overtake Pincay. He was named the George Woolf Memorial Award winner by his riding peers in 2002. position - name - nationality/base – wins AKA Laffit Alejandro Pincay, Jr.. Born: 29-Dec-1946 Birthplace: Panama City, Panama Gender: Male Race or Ethnicity: Hispanic Sexual orientation: Straight Occupation: Jockey Nationality: United States Executive summary: Winningest jockey of all time Father: (jockey) Wife: Linda (d. 1985 suicide after ill health) Daughter: Lisa (b. His family, including wife Jeanine and his two grown children Lisa and Laffit III, had urged him to retire after the accident. I am very grateful to a lot of people who helped me throughout my career and I want to thank the fans for all the cards and well wishes. Laffit Pincay III is a horse-racing commentator for HRTV and NBC. Linda Pincay committed suicide in January 1985. "The doctor recommended that I never ride again," Pincay said in a statement. He has now won at least 400 races in a year in 13 of the past 18 years. Laffit Pincay III, Actor: Inside Information. And I want to thank all my friends for their support." Pincay also has a 6-year-old son, Jean-Laffit. What was most exceptional about Pincay's longevity was his ability to control his weight. Pincay's career includes election to racing's Hall of Fame in 1975, a 1984 Kentucky Derby victory, three Belmont Stakes victories, five Eclipse Awards (1971, 73, 74, 79 y 85), led nation in earnings from 1970-74, 1979 and 1985, led nation in victories with 380 in 1971, and mounts on such great horses as Affirmed and John Henry. Other major victories came in the Jim Beam (Event of the Year, 1998), Oak Leaf (Lite Light, 1990), Del Mar Debutante (Raipillan, 1989), Azalea Stakes (Indyanne, 2008), and San Francisco Mile (Bold Chieftain, 2010). It takes a lot of ability and a lot of dedication to win that many races. In addition to his work with HRTV, Pincay has also handled numerous assignments for NBC Sports and the NBC Sports Network in the last three years (2011-13), including the Triple Crown and "Summer at Saratoga" series. * Inducted in the Hall of Fame in 1975 He replaced Steve Cauthen aboard 1978 Triple Crown winner Affirmed the following year. But he says the criticism doesn't bother him, having built a happy home in the Bay Area community of Woodside with his wife Tami. "It was very important for me because to me Russell is a great rider," Pincay said. He reached the winner's circle on his first U.S. mount, in 1966 at Chicago's Arlington Park. Father of a son, Jean Laffit Pincay, with his second, and current, wife, Jeanine Dorn Pincay. 5.- Pat Day US/US 8,803. Ricardo’s best season was 1992-93when he rode a scarcely credible 477 winners, and he has passed the 400-mark on five occasions. "He works very hard. Santa Anita's Woolf Award honors riders whose careers and personal character reflect positively on themselves and the sport of Thoroughbred racing. In spite of winning with 29% of his mounts, Baze led Dominguez by only one win through Aug. 13. 1970)Son: Laffit Pincay III (b. He began riding in 1974 at Yakima Meadows in Washington. I), Riva Ridge (gr. He leads Baze in victories this year, 278-226. Pincay's pursuit of Shoemaker's record during a 10-day period in 1999 boosted attendance and wagering at Hollywood Park. * Leading jockey in races won, 1971 Baze has left the region for races all around the country often. Use and/or viewing of this site is subject to Terms & Conditions. Thoroughbred OwnerView – Thoroughbred Owners, Thoroughbred Trainers, Thoroughbred Partnerships, Thoroughbred Retirement, Marathon Test in Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance Stakes, Sports Betting Bill Poses Threat to Canadian Racing, Global Campaign Providing Thrill for Sagamore Farm, Engage Seeks Another Keeneland Win in Lafayette, Bye Bye J Sprints Into McConnell Springs Stakes, Woodbine Releases Corporate Responsibility Report, Wet Keeneland Turf Drying Before Breeders' Cup, Owners Win Racecourse Reprieve With New Restrictions, Busy Radio, Television Schedule for Breeders' Cup Week, NYRA and TVG to Donate $410,000 to Support COVID-19 Relief, Pegasus World Cup to Offer Breeders’ Cup Winners Complimentary Travel, Baffert’s Lawyer: Drape’s `False’ Story `Debunked’, Baffert Trio Draws Outside, Tiz the Law Two in Loaded Breeders’ Cup Classic, BC-Bound Tex Sutton Flight Grounded in New York. He battled the scale since he was a teenager. 1975)Girlfriend: Phyllis Davis (actress, together late 1980s)Wife: Jeanine (m. 1992)Son: Jean Laffit Pincay (b. Oct-1993), George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award 1970    Racing Hall of Fame 1975    Risk Factors: Anorexia, Do you know something we don't? Previous work includes coverage of the Virginia Derby at Colonial Downs for CBS Sports (2007-08), and the Breeders' Cup for ESPN in 2007. He is the career victory leader at Hollywood Park, Santa Anita and Del Mar. He deserves to be on top.". However, doctors advised Pincay that his spine is not sufficiently stable to allow him to ride, said Hollywood Park spokesman Mike Mooney, who announced Pincay's decision. He is in a battle with Ramon Dominguez for the riding title this year. He was also involved in NBC Sports' coverage of the 2011 Travers from the Spa. "I would have never dreamed something like this could have happened.". Baze scored in the $29,250 maiden special weight event aboard Diamond A Racing's 3-year-old homebred Forestry filly for Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella. His 8,834th win was one more than the record set by Bill Shoemaker. View Our Privacy Policy. Currently competing at San Isidro racetrack in Buenos Aires, Ricardo's career total stands at 10,867 through Aug. 13. He was severely injured in a turf race March 1 when another horse that was ultimately disqualified swung wide into the stretch, knocked him off his mount and rolled on him. Pincay became racing's winningest rider on Dec. 10, 1999, aboard Irish Nip at Hollywood Park. He did a lot more than anybody else ever did in our profession. 1975) Girlfriend: Phyllis Davis … 5: United States … * Leading money-winning jockey, 1970-74, 1979, 1985 When the pain persisted, he was examined by doctors, who found two breaks in the same bone in his neck. He's out there every day. Pincay's final injury was one of many in his career. I am very grateful to a lot of people who helped me throughout my career and I want to thank the fans for all the cards and well wishes. Prior to overtaking Shoemaker, Pincay had struggled to get mounts on the best horses. Pincay broke the cervical 2 bone in his neck, one of the uppermost seven vertebrae of the spine.

300 Cc Scooters, Zeynep Camci Husband, Tropico 6 Conventillo Or Tenement, Smart Closet App, Dr Robert Jeffress Salary,