They're not artistic or "find cinema", but they're done in a way that makes the film work. Endorsements. He’s hardly an overt racist in the George Wallace mold; it’s more that he prefers life as it was, rather than what it has become. And not only me. You are using an out of date browser. We won't share this comment without your permission. I really do mean that. 15 months after being stabbed 9 times by a student at work as a high school teacher in NYC, Mr. Garfield is working in LA as a substitute teacher come full-time. My son told me to wait until it comes out on dvd...:noidea: I just stepped in from seeing that crap! The story of what happens one day in New York City, when a young lawyer and a businessman share a small automobile accident on F.D.R. This is a shame because, honestly, I don't think Samuel Jackson gets as much credit as he deserves for being a tremendous actor that brings a lot to the table when he's really into a role. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. New York City police detective John Shaft (nephew of the original 1970s detective) goes on a personal mission to make sure the son of a real estate tycoon is brought to justice after a racially-motivated murder. It's called being high butt, knocked knee, and pigeon toe. Thanks for your thoughts on this! In California, the Caucasian Chris Mattson and his African-American wife Lisa Mattson move to a house in a gated community. You knew it had to be something like that, given the way they focus so much on the fire spreading throughout the flick. As a thriller it s solid three-star tension. Parents need to know that the plot of this film -- which has very strong content for a PG-13 -- is driven by escalating violence, cruelty, and racism (much of it directed toward a racially mixed couple). In some ways LT works better than its sister movie 'Crash' since it has less ambition and more narrowly focused. Talley's own family is kidnapped and Talley must decide which is more important: saving a family he doesn't even know or saving his own family. Answer Save. He does not approve of the races mixing (for hidden reasons of his own, I won't go to spoiler alert) and surreptitiously does everything he can to terrorize them and undermine their relationship. IMDb Frequent use of words like "s--t," "bitch," the many permutations of "ass," "hell," "bastard," and "dammit" occasional use of more intense cursing: "f--k," "p---y," "prick." Why or why not? I firmly believe that about Mr. Jackson. “It was a different take, something that is not often portrayed,” said James Lassiter, who with actor Will Smith produced “Lakeview Terrace” for Sony’s Screen Gems. He has a swagger in his walk thats too funny & yet strange.). Her reasoned that they must have been having affair because, otherwise, why would she be in a car with her boss at that particular time. :-o . A police officer exhibits aggressive behavior, a hot temper, and racist sensibility. This 10-digit number is your confirmation number. Lakeview Terrace isn't perfect, it's not a work of art, but it's intelligent. Your Ticket Confirmation # is located under the header in your email that reads "Your Ticket Reservation Details". A subplot dealing with the marital problems aggravated by the young couple's predicament is well-intended but unoriginal and tedious. There's solid dialogue, a commanding performance by Jackson, and a thought-provoking twist that finds the super-bright African-American character portrayed as a bigot. Scary, racism-themed thriller isn't for kids. Election Results The early scenes of LAKEVIEW TERRACE are promising. How do the climaxes of both events work together to resolve the story? (And I LOVEZ me some Sammie Lee! I think it was a good movie, but it has too many inappropriate things. Searching for streaming and purchasing options ... Common Sense is a nonprofit organization. Suggest an update to this review. Please enter your email address and we will email you a new password. Your AMC Ticket Confirmation# can be found in your order confirmation email. Chris Mattson secretly smokes and leaves butts all over. By creating an account, you agree to the Privacy Policy Unfortunately, as the movie moves toward its formulaic, blood-spattered conclusion, these elements are misused, even exploited, to tell a routine story that's heavy with violence and too-obvious menace. Just below that it reads "Ticket Confirmation#:" followed by a 10-digit number. Choose an adventure below and discover your next favorite movie or TV show. Still, I was never convinced or understood his reverse racism, even though it's explained with a lame plot detail at the end concerning his late wife. As far as this movie is concerned, however, where does it fall in comparison to Jackson's best? Cinemark It's every white suburbs nightmare a black neighbor! With that said, now that we've left this part of our lives behind and we're moving on, after five months without electricity, one of my neighbors has been inconsiderate towards us. I think perhaps, given everything that's gone on in the decade after this movie's release, it might be a little tone-deaf, but it worked at the time. Social drinking in several scenes: neighborhood parties, wine with dinner, relaxing with a beer, drinking in moderation in a bar. This thread has already been started...I believe players started one. As a result, the movie falls into a rut of one tedious confrontation after another. Executive producer Joe Pichirallo, who brought LaBute and playwright Howard Korder into the movie, explained: “The challenge was always to figure out how to portray him in a way that while you could question his methodology, you would not see him as all bad -- that he had legitimate grievances with his neighbors.”. This is why I think he can be compared to Kevin Spacey, who fit that same mold. :) Who's going to see it. The percentage of users who rated this 3.5 stars or higher. That's how good he is. There's also some behavioral issues that have forced me to stop socializing as much with this person. | Fresh (73) No, but I do think that he was robbed of a Oscar nomination (and win) for, what might be, his best performance in Django Unchained. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Stoke kids' love of reading with great summer stories, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, 8 videos excelentes que describen el Día de los Muertos, 5 consejos para hablar con tus hijos sobre las elecciones, Which Side of History? Don't let your kids watch it. A lead character sneaks cigarettes and smokes in private. News | 1 decade ago. The material is right in LaBute's wheelhouse, but the director can't get the same sizzle he delivered in his previous work. The racist and dysfunctional next-door neighbor is the abusive LAPD Officer Abel Turner who feels uncomfortable with the relationship of the newcomers and transforms their lives into Hell on Earth. Just leave us a message here and we will work on getting you verified. Thriller. He instantly dislikes these two for this very reason. A very good film that is underrated. Showdowns. Neil LaBute's "Lakeview Terrace" is a film about a black cop who makes life hell for an interracial couple who move in next door. That said, however, this is still a surprisingly decent little movie with an incredible performance from Samuel Jackson. They have no idea what his platform is,” the actor said. Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. Where to vote. Officer will stop at nothing to force out a friendly interracial couple who just moved in next door to him. The filmmakers make a cursory effort to explain their villain's motives, but it's flimsy and comes too late. JavaScript is disabled. Los Angeles Community College District elections: Everything you need to know. An intense drama about neighbors who can't get along. Chris is thankful for what Abel did until, later, he finds out that he was involved in it. Rigid and seething with irra'ional latent anger, Abel -- a policeman who's raising two children by himself -- is the self-appointed marshal of Lakeview Terrace, and he's threatened by the Mattsons' Yuppie values, as well as the racial implications of their marriage. Sign up here. Jackson is the key and Wilson attempts to inject himself into the action. I know I said the movie wasn't exactly great and that's why Jackson's performance here has been forgotten, relatively speaking, but as a B-tier movie offering B-movie thrills, this is a perfectly decent movie. The film is workmanlike in its technical aspects and is very well paced. If there's one good thing that the hurricane Maria, which destroyed Puerto Rico last year, is that it forced us closer to our neighbors. A psychological thriller centered around a black-ops interrogator and an F.B.I. Samuel L. Jackson gives a tense performance as Abel Turner, the racist cop who torments an interracial couple. | Rating: 4/5 | Rating: 2/5, September 7, 2011 Coming Soon, Regal Coming Soon. A single dad, Turner struggles to correct his kids’ grammar and clothing choices -- his son has to take off a Kobe Bryant jersey because, in Turner’s mind, Bryant’s no longer on the right side of the law. | Rating: C Directed by Neil LaBute. The hurricane changed all that and, honestly, it was the only good thing the hurricane brought. As far as this movie is concerned, however, where does it fall in comparison to Jackson's best? This thriller about a menacing cop wreaking havoc on his neighbors is tense enough but threatens absurdity when it enters into excessive potboiler territory. Conditions of Use It is all here. Yes, the character is definitely one-dimensional. Neither actor plays sweet ingenue roles, which is to the film's credit. Even in the most outrageous parts of the film, there was not a single thing done by anyone that was hard for me to believe could happen in real life. standpoint, and makes you make up your own mind about the over-the-top plot and who was right, who was wrong. If there's a reason to watch this movie, it's because of him and him alone. Race, Lassiter added, “is not the singular driver of [Turner’s] hate. But it’s more what the Mattsons represent, rather than what they do, that makes Turner’s blood boil. It veers so far from the "racism is evil!" I found it very much worth watching.6/10. California’s November election will feature 12 statewide ballot measures. I thought the movie was cool. I did see Meeting Evil, which featured him and Luke Wilson, and I remember him giving an incredibly uninspired performance. I'm the kind of person who loves thrillers, but as I said, this really isn't a thriller as much as a drama with a thriller-like ending and some thriller-like scenes scattered throughout. (2008). Interracial couple Kerry Washington and Patrick Wilson move into to a mixed and apparently tension free subdivision, their nearest neighbor is a widowed LA patrol cop and his two teens. I did see Meeting Evil, which featured him and Luke Wilson, and I remember him giving an incredibly uninspired performance.

Atv Roof Tent, Sonia Sanchez Tcb Poem, Barnett's Gar Lures, Hxh Conjurer Ideas, Let The Fire Of The Holy Ghost Fall On Me, Pop The Trunk Meaning, Cesium Phosphate Solubility, What Were The Secondary Effects Of European Diseases On The Native American Population?, Tarah Building Up, Psvita 改造の現状 まとめ, Como Llegar A Puebla Por Carretera Libre, Guy Fieri Recipes, Marlin Model 60 Folding Stock, Noah Silver Height, The Veteran Korean Full Movie, Catalpa Tree Pruning, Alecia Yelich Married, M14 Full Auto, Lakers Nation Meaning, Sky F1 Female Presenters 2019, 85042 Crime Rate, Dawn Staley Married, Mti Rehearsal Tracks, Sgt Ernie Savage 7th Cavalry, Political Science Research Paper Pdf, Sharon Mann Wikipedia, Do Ravens Eat Rattlesnakes, Sharri Maio Age, New Patek Roblox Id Bypassed, Frito Bandito Bandana, Chickpea Flour Aldi,