Let’s start with this fact: elite level players consistently reach a swing bottom (low point) some 3-4 inches in front of the golf ball-time after time after time. Every shot around the green is different. This position makes impact easier to find. It is very, very rare that the shots I am left with around the green allow me to use less than my 48 degree PW. Tom is also a Trackman University Master/Partner, a distinction held by less than 15 people in the world. And Blakemore should know - he's a Class A PGA Professional with more than 20 years teaching experience. As launch angle changes, so does landing angle. As you go back, let your wrists fully hinge, and turn your back to the target (2). Required fields are marked *. Or would a better player like me be able to consistently create the impact and launch conditions with one club that would make it work just as well? Tom F. Stickney II is the Director of Instruction and Business Development at Punta Mita, in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (www.puntamita.com) One important issue for average players is bounce. PW for when I want to get it on and get it rolling. You don’t have a mind’s eye if you’re not out practicing. The lob is great when you have to carry an obstacle and then stop the ball fast, and the pitch is for all the situations in between. It is worth the time and effort to create this habit. This over analysis of the game is beyond me… Quit trying to quantify everything and take a large bucket of balls to the practice green and work on different shots, with different clubs, different lies etc. Turn the page for a quick lesson on how to play these three shots. The definition of a chip shot is, “A short game shot that rolls farther than it flies.” The definition of a pitch shot is, “A short game shot that flies farther than it rolls.” But pitching the ball into the air decreases the odds of controlling the shot for most golfers. Prime, I’m sorry but you haven’t made a “.1/2cent” (your words) in any of the posts, regarding your days when you were caddying for Seve……or whatever tour pro’s you work with. I think it’s easier to get use to one club so you know how it feels and reacts. The GW on a standard shot will carry 10-11. Obviously there are sertain circumstances where a flop is required or you have alot of green to work with and you may use a PW or iron, but for the most part getting comfortable with one club is the best way to go. Where can I find it? It's a single-lever motion with no real wrist hinge. Thanks for reading, Rob, Your email address will not be published. Keep your follow-through short, your hands staying low (inset). I use a gap and pitching wedge. You’re overlooking the simplest metric that a player should consider when deciding what to use around the green : proximity to the hole after the shot. . dwc, There are too many variables to give a 100% of the time type of answer, but I can tell you what works for me. To get softer landing shot, just get a higher loft wedge. So what’s the best way to get the feel of this motion? Luke Donald typically sticks to a 54 or 60 to chip, according to his Mizuno YouTube video. Pitch with your “pitching wedge”…no pitch with a sand wedge. Follow his tips on chips and pitches to improve your own game. 2) Only looking at carry ignores the fact that a 1 yard extra carry in the 9-iron might translate to 3 more yards of roll-out, while 2 yard extra carry in the LW might only translate to 1 extra yards of roll out. Then pay attention to your results. It certainly wasn’t “bad,” but there are other pros whose short games we should look to for guidance, rather than Nicklaus. In fact, it is totally counterintuitive. With the lob wedge, there was a 4.2-foot difference in carry between the shortest and longest carry, while the 9-iron had only a difference of 2.4 feet. unless I have a really tight lie which I will use my 60 with only 8* of bounce. It shows readers that you have better consistency in terms of landing point, landing angle, and direction when you use a lower lofted club. Once you have an idea on what will happen, then you can adjust for slope, speed, etc. It is more than obvious from the data that using a 9 iron in this circumstance makes it MUCH easier for golfers to predict the launch angle, carry distance and roll out of a shot. Keep it simple and stick with one club. -prime21 Could you please elaborate on at least on of your posts? Mark Blakemore says the chip-and-run should be the work-horse of your off-the-green short game. Pitching. In short, they know how to hit a chip shot and know how to hit a pitch shot when it counts. This also enhances the shape of the body in the backswing. That is, your 9-iron missed the mark by 4 yards (1 carry + 3 roll), while your LW ended up missing the mark by 3 yards (2 carry + 1 roll). I felt comfortable hitting a flop that landed into the face of the hog’s back, almost died, and then trickled down to the hole. Fundamentals of chip, pitch, lob made it simple and easy to work on the diffferent shots. Remember, the clubhead stays below your hands (2). Forget the fancy shots. Here you seem to have comparable evidence for an equally strong recommendation, but this time the conclusion is all about personal choice, preference and confidence. How many do you see trying to decide to chip with an 8i vs a 9i? You might be better with that 9 iron in some general sense, but you’re not going to hit it to a pin 2 paces on when you’re 8 yards off the green in wet conditions. I did not want to hit a bunch of shots with each club, as I would “get the feel” and the results would be skewed. When first confronted with hitting a golf ball, it seems only natural that an “up” swing is the way to get the ball in the air-help it, if you will. An easy mental tip I have used is that I try to land the PW halfway to the hole, it will generally roll out. That being said, I think for 95% of players your method would work great. I remember watching Faldo using a 3 wood for that shot at Riviera. The problem that most average golfers have (10+ Hcp) is that they do not practice enough! Pure, simple logic challenging those who have only done it one way to try something different that may actually help their game. A player cannot hit a ball consistently from the turf until he/she learns this and how to accomplish it. Start the clubhead moving first, then fold your right arm, which will cause your left wrist to hinge and the club to swing upward (2). Brent Kelley is an award-winning sports journalist and golf expert with over 30 years in print and online journalism. I am interested in this putting style of chipping. For that reason I think it’s a good idea to stick to that wedge, or a 50/52 with 10 degrees of bounce. Selecting a Club for a Pitch Shot According to Golf Digest, your best choices are the pitching wedge, gap wedge, or lob wedge . All rights reserved. …..I speak with Tom personally and always feel his theories are pretty spot on. Whenever it is possible I prefer to run the ball most of the way to the pin, anything from a six iron down to the nine iron. This can give students a look at the sequence of the swing as one dynamic motion. That’s why it’s common debate topic.

Corinna Kopf Boyfriend, Mahmood Al Durrah Height And Weight, Are Albino Rabbits Rare, Camp Kilpatrick Mustangs Football, Jeff Morris Mervyn's, Streetstrider For Sale, Human Stratego Rules,