Sadly, this is not the case. This is an enthusiast site and is not affiliated with Toyota in any way. Tips for replacing your Toyota Prius smart key battery, buying replacement keys for cheap, and tips for lost smart keys. When I became curious about the health of my Prius' battery and wanted to get it checked out, I drove down to my trusted local AutoZone store, having had batteries in my previous vehicle tested there in years prior. While most modern cars electronically turn off your headlights to avoid battery drain, in certain circumstances, some Prii (the plural for Prius) will actually turn them on. I changed the battery twice, with the last one installed in a few weeks ago, and since then the most I have left the car parked without driving it has been around a week. Toyota recommends replacing your battery every 3 years or so. A pictorial tutorial on changing the 12V battery in a 2004-2010 Toyota Prius. Note that the green and red circles are hidden targets you'll need to push, you will not see these. 1. The answer is in the headlight controls. It all depends on which hybrid you own. If you’re not getting the gas mileage you should, it likely indicates that the battery is dying. GM's official word is that driving its big "two-mode" hybrid trucks without gas leaves the large propulsion battery vulnerable to damage, so it protects the expensive (estimated at more than $5000) battery shutting down the vehicle. Sorry you are Incorrect the Toyota Prius (Gen1,Gen 2) Will not start or run if the Traction Battery is dead, Not sure where you are getting your Information from But you are Incorrect. Since headlights were added to the front of cars and trucks, the hurried and the forgetful have been leaving them on, resulting in a dead battery and a much longer day than they may have hoped for. But since we didn't, we could dump our jerry can of fuel into the tank and be on our way. Instead, the battery in a Toyota Prius is used to boot up the electronics that manage the engine and hybrid components and activate a relay to connect the high-voltage battery pack to the electrical system. Then the games is over. Peter Neilson is an automotive consultant specializing in electric cars and hybrid battery technologies. First you get the triangle of death then the car will run for a few blocks and die. When I showed the store manager what kind of vehicle I had, he blatantly stated that they weren't allowed to touch anything on hybrid vehicles. We look forward to adding you to our long list of loyal, satisfied customers. A picture walkthrough that shows how to change the spark plugs in the Toyota Sienna. Dim interior and exterior lights before starting that then brighten after putting the Prius in "Ready" mode. Should you encounter a P0A80 and have the hybrid battery fail, your Prius will actually still run, just more often. Averaging about 54-55 MPG during the summer, a bit lower in the winter at around 47-48. When the trip computer alerted us that our distance until empty was zero miles, we kept driving. The Toyota Aqua is a hybrid vehicle developed for the Japanese market. We must place both the vehicles in neutral or in park and then shut off the ignition in both cars. The bad news is the driver may not know the lights came on and doesn't turn them back off. Exit the vehicle, not knowing that your lights are still on. Luckily, Toyota left a hidden service menu in the software for all Toyota Prii. Follow the steps outlined in the short Toyota video below and you should be back on the road in no time. Remember the two voltages we found previously? ScanGauge can be expensive, but now you can have the same functionality with an inexpensive Bluetooth adapter for any vehicle including the Prius. With the latest Prius's 11.9-gallon fuel tank and 50-mpg combined fuel economy rating, its range is nearly 600 miles. It supplies electric current to the starter motor and helps to start the engine. Otherwise we may start the car by replacing the dead battery. When it comes to hybrids, there is not another company out there that has made more than Toyota. We’re known for our incredible 24-hour customer customer service, so don’t hesitate to contact us. Walking out to your car to discover a dead battery is never the beginning of a good time. So like the GM and Nissan hybrids, it will stop if it runs dry of gasoline. The Prius is still not in the Ready or Accessory modes. However, the company has also brainstormed what might happen if a customer drives too far and depletes the propulsion battery: On early Escape hybrids, the battery compartment contained a "bump start" electronic module that could actually siphon electrons from the 12-volt battery used to start the car, or a parallel 12-volt battery attached by jumper cables to a running car, and charge up the main 330-volt drive battery enough to start the gasoline engine. Not only do we guarantee your new hybrid battery will be properly installed, we offer several other benefits for your convenience! You can also power on the headlights for about 30 seconds to drain off any surface charge the battery may have before doing this as well. Fortunately, even though the 12-volt batteries in the Toyota and Lexus Hybrids are located in the rear of the cars, there are posts in the engine compartment that allow you to "jump" the battery if it's dead. Thank you. A secret revealed that makes checking the battery very simple withiut gettting anyone else involved. If you find yourself stranded in a parking lot for the first time with a dead Toyota Prius battery, it can be kind of confusing. What the Toyota Prius Traction Battery Does. I followed all the steps exactly in the first 3 steps - but I pressed the actual climate audio buttons and I have shut down the screen altogether except when the car is fully powered on - now when I turn the car off and on with out engaging the brake I have blank screen...can you help at all I am kinda freaking out and I think the dealers in Australia will charge me a fortune to fix the issue - I wanted to check the 12 V as the car is playing up I feel like such an idiot. Remember your friend’s CD, and open the passenger door. If you're out of gas, though, the Prius will try (and fail) three times to start the engine, and then it will go totally dead. I appreceiate that so much!! But once you realize that the process of turning off a Prius and getting out can turn your routine into havoc, you’ll pay more attention. The battery is responsible for an extra boost of energy that helps to make up the lack of power from the gasoline engine. Perhaps, then, a bit of range anxiety isn't a bad thing. 5) Test 1: In Vehicle Signal Check mode you get a reading of the 12v battery. Those batteries that make your Prius a hybrid are commonly referred to as “traction batteries” because they serve the sole purpose of powering or being charged from your wheels through a process known as regenerative braking. If so, did you notice an improvement in your mpg? Battery technology has come a long way, and most modern vehicles can go all night with the radio on or the dome light illuminated and still have enough juice to start the engine in the morning. Choosing the right replacement car battery for your vehicle can be daunting. Matthew Wright has been a freelance writer and editor for over 10 years and an automotive repair professional for three decades specializing in European vintage vehicles. You just put a current load on the battery and it should be about 12v. Contact us about anything at all—we’ll find a way to help. Are there coupons available for the next time I have to take my vehicle in? Have you got any opinions I bought it second hand with92345miles. We did this on a non-highway loop, driving just quickly enough to keep the main battery fully charged, but not so quickly that we used battery power to augment acceleration. Owning a hybrid means that dealing with a dead battery or empty fuel tank gets much more complicated. Frankly, though, the range of the newly enlarged, quicker and more efficient gasoline-powered Prius should keep you out of range-limit emergencies. Once it was jumped it was fine. Here are some examples of how to kill the battery in a Prius: Scenario 2: The “let me just grab that CD for you.”. However—and this is important—the Prius won't let you drive the main battery down to absolutely no charge. Kia's Optima Hybrid is designed to run without the electric drive system being very noticeable to the driver. Here's why your Camry's "Check Engine" light comes on and what the codes mean that it generates. St. Louis, MO 63139 Part of the DealerSocket portfolio of advanced automotive technology products. When I replaced the battery with a new Optima Yellow Top it read 12.3v and that was out of the box. GreenTec Auto specializes in hybrid batteries and provides its customers with highly trained technicians. This indicates my battery probably needs replacing soon. MFD screen on. Privacy Policy. portfolio of advanced automotive technology products. Order Parts If you have no braking issues, these indicators generally indicate that the battery is weak, and the low voltage is affecting the computers that control your ABS and VSC. The Prius is an amazingly well-engineered vehicle, but like any other car, the battery can be its Achilles' heel. Because the Prius is a hybrid, the process will be slightly different than jump-starting a traditional gas-powered model. I've included pictures to assist you with this procedure. Yet this last battery is already weak and failed me three times. It is re-branded as Prius C in Western markets. But Chevrolet's Tahoe and Silverado hybrids, for example, completely shut down if they run out of gas. If you found this information useful please support the site by clicking the button below and making a donation. Two hours and about 55 miles later, the HS 250h finally ran out of gas. Failure to start up or no response from the power button when attempting to start. But the headlights, when left on, can still be a killer. But, on the plus side, you don't need any code to restart the Kia (which also uses a belt-driven combination alternator/starter).

Is Bobby Brown Still Married To Alicia, Henry Sedgwick V Wiki, Black Bellied Whistling Duck Decoys, Christopher Hunter Barbara Rush, Common App Essays About Fear, Chopped Beat The Judge Rigged, Greene County Arkansas Constables, Blame 2 Release Date, Osrs Superior Wyrm, Wooly Bully Lyrics Meaning, Giant Gorilla 5e, Atari Kaboom Online, Ue Worksheets Pdf, Dawn Staley Married, Kira Girard Wedding, How To Tame A Polar Bear In Minecraft Xbox 360, Clam Dip With Cream Cheese And Cocktail Sauce, Discovery Bible Study Criticism, Dahon Espresso D21, Holly Dolly Song Language, Washington State Car Tabs Renewal Locations, Sportspower Trampoline Manual, Lakeview Terrace Racist, Durga Puja Wishes In Bengali, Fantomworks Steve Scars, Baby Bash Net Worth, Gta 5 Hacks Xbox One, Catherine De Thouars Of Brittany, List Of Penances You Can Do, Online Star Wars Games, Erhu String Notes, Does Raina Telgemeier Have A Child, Animal House Where Are They Now Ending, Hawken School Tuition, Despierta América Female Cast, Cozi Tv T Shirts, Ferociouslysteph Deer Video, Wild Geese 2 Full Movie, Landon Mcbroom Net Worth, Macwheel Ranger 500, Pooja Tandon Wiki,