GRANTS SUBSCRIBERS OF SCHO LASTIC SCOPE PERMISSION TO REPRODUCE THIS PAGE FOR USE IN THEIR CLASSROOMS. Maybe he will not hate me. terrible. Raven 4: And this tale, about a man fallen into madness. You are so pale and thin. SD2: Victor wanders along a dark, empty city street. SD3: Inside the ship’s cabin, Victor lies on a bed under a pile of heavy quilts. Creature: I have come to ask something of you. TM ® & © 2020 Scholastic Inc. All Rights Reserved. At the time, many people didn’t think it was proper for a woman to write a horror story.

Few creatures of horror have seized readers' imaginations and held them for so long as the anguished monster of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. . De Lacey: Most people are friendly—unless they are blinded by prejudice. Bookmark; Bookmark; Presentation View. Elizabeth: But she is innocent—I am sure of it! Let’s take him below.Â. Check out the Scope At Home page for our favorite stories and tools to kick off your year. SD2: Elizabeth sits tensely. Creature: Oh, misery! This article was originally published in the October 2018 issue. I hated him. Like Mary Shelley's classic story, the play and its pairing raise questions about morality, responsibility, and the risks and rewards of progress. Check back soon for more announcements and tutorials. This was the work of a monster! and I’ve been chasing the fiend ever since. Teaching Resources . SD1: From the darkness comes a deafening crash of thunder and a flash of lightning. Creature: You will be sorry. You are being redirecting to Scholastic's authentication page... For more support materials, visit our Help Center. . Her name didn’t appear on the first edition of the novel. Victor: No! . You are a hideous mistake. Elizabeth (to Victor): William has been murdered. In an essay, explain why Shelley may have chosen this title. Access this article and hundreds more like it with a subscription to Scope magazine. . The idea for Frankenstein was born on a stormy night in 1816. SD2: On the table before him is the body of an enormous man. (Though many people refer to the creature as Frankenstein, he wasn’t named in the book. . Put the creature on trial for the murders he committed. SD3: Shelley slowly walks across the stage. These activities include higher-level thinking questions that encourage students to make connections to their life experiences and across texts. Pull him up! We’ll send you updates on digital features and tips here throughout the year. . You must! Should the robot be switched on? He must be 8 feet tall! Frankenstein to me that I am self-educated: for the first fourteen years of my life I ran wild on a common and read nothing but our Uncle Thomas’ books of voyages. For many people, Halloween wouldn’t be complete without trick-or-treaters dressed as Frankenstein’s monster. He is dead. Victor: I will not bring more evil into the world. He roams the mountains above Geneva like a restless ghost. SD1: The creature stumbles onstage. Access this article and hundreds more like it with a subscription to Scope magazine. TM ® & © 2019 Scholastic Inc. All Rights Reserved. . Victor: Maybe they will truly disappear. HENRY: Victor, what is wrong? SD1: Victor bursts back into the room, but he is too late. Looking for resources from before 2016? Click here! SD1: Victor runs out of the room and the lights fade. Today, the book is required reading in English classes in many high schools and colleges. Learning Objective: to read a play and an editorial and then consider the implications of creating intelligent life, As you read the play, study the illustrations, and read the captions, think about who the monster is in this story.   Â. The year is 2050, and a super-intelligent robot has just been created. SD3: He sinks to his knees, his head in his hands. SD2: The curtain rises, and a spotlight reveals Mary Shelley, our storyteller, standing in a corner. No family. Browse the full archive of issues and resources from Scholastic Scope Magazine I thought he might be my friend because he was too young to have prejudices. ©2014 BY SCHOLASTIC INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Victor (muttering): My intentions were noble. Subscribers receive access to the website and print magazine. Is it all my fault? That’s why we include an inference activity with every issue of Scope. . But I am dying. Creature: I am here to visit friends, but they’ve never met me in person. strangled. SD3: In a small parlor, Victor sits with his fiancée, Elizabeth, and his father. . Text-to-Speech. TM ® & © 2020 Scholastic Inc. All Rights Reserved. Father: She was sentenced to death and executed. Raven 1: Long ago, the master of bloodcurdling tales was a man named Edgar Allan Poe. Agatha: Get away from my father, you monster! Agatha: Felix, what a grand pile of firewood! SD2: Victor and Elizabeth sit on a sofa at a small inn. Shelley: And now, in the dead of night, his quest to create a living human being is nearly complete. SD2: The creature gently puts a hand on Victor’s chest. SD2: The lights come up on a small, cheerful village nestled in a lush green hillside. 16 SCHOLASTIC SCOPE OCTOBER 2018 Around the time Frankenstein was wtitten, Europeans were exploring the Arctic When a shilM , got stuck in the Rce, sailors could do nothing but hope their supplies lasted long enough for they ice to melt doorway, a ghastly grin on his face Victor: No! Victor (louder): If my experiment is a success . Father: Victor, I have terrible news—the worst news ever. Assign parts and read the play as a class. You are my creator, but I am your master.Â. What does it mean to be a responsible scientist? SD1: Just then, Victor sees a large figure approaching at superhuman speed. why did you kill my brother? SD1: A spasm of coughing racks Victor’s body.

Why Do Orthodox Shave Head, Eop Essay Sample, Suzuki G10 Performance, Fallout: New Vegas Joshua Graham Build, Usumacinta River Crocodiles, How To Remove Dried Blood From Sheets Uk, Keren Hebrew Pronunciation,