By making the body stiffer it improves (to some extent) the steering feel, making turn-in sharper. JavaScript is disabled. For a daily driven car, I found that it wasn't needed, and sometimes was actually counter productive. … you need to do the rear sway too. Sorry if this is just a stupid newbie question. If you want your car to handle i would spend the mopar bucks on coilovers, then later on add stack performance sway bars and strut brace. Thoughts on sway bars and strut tower brace? Any recomendations? Strut bars make some difference in some cars, but in many cars do little more than add extra weight. JavaScript is disabled. Can you please elaborate, thanks very much. strut tower brace, or sway bar? Currently I am looking for better quality sway bars and probably the same thickness would be ok. The strut bar is without danger, but if you add upgraded sway bars be sure to buy a matching front & rear set from a reputable manufacturer. I believe there was also a mods face off with wheel diameter, iirc the difference in wheel diameter and weight made little change with the torque monster Hemi's. check out the. Unless you’re racing, strut bars (or whatever nomenclatire the manufacturer chose) on stock vehicles are pretty much just “eye candy”. How is this different from a sway bar which connects the suspension of the left and right side at the bottom of the vehicle? A strut bar connects the top of the two front shock towers, or the top of the two rear shock towers. Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc. Sway Bars vs. Strut Bars - The Differences Strut Bars - also known as a “strut tower brace”, this bar connects to the top of the strut towers (either front or rear) and prevents the chassis flexing during cornering. I've been thinking about changing front ones but maybe in the next month. The old Army jeeps had that problem, and way too many suddenly flipped on the drivers. Well, to be honest the front ones are pretty old. especially if roll is what your worried about. I don't want as much body roll through the corners, but both sound like they do the same thing? I was going to do a lot of stuff under the hood in black carbon fiber I really like the way it looks but I dont want to do things that are not needed. What do springs/struts/coilovers add to the suspension feel? sorry I am new to the whole forum thing can you fill me in on some of the abbreviations that I may see? I do agree with Chunky that too much antiaway becomes counterproductive. The less the body flexes, the sooner the tires steer. The sway bar reduces the difference in travel between the 2 suspensions - ie, it reduces sway. Hotchkiss is probably the most prolific of the manufactureres and offers upgraded sway bars for countless vehicles. sway bars will make it stay flat and let the car rotate better. is there any difference. So I vote for sawy bars. what are some of the pro's and cons? well its up to u i rather save that $$ and get coils and sways sooner cuz it will give more performance than the strut bar but if u want it first go ahead and get it now. even for daily driving. Sway bay is attached to the body and lt & rt suspension. myfastgti.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Thank you I really appreciate it! They can help stabilize the over all body flex, which in turn can help keep things more planted. Thanks a lot for the great responses. I wanted to mention these because I’m guessing that your query was becasue you were considering adding these items. Content on myfastgti.com is generated by its users. It provides some resistance to the opposite motions of the wheels. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. It controls chassis flex, and allows the suspension to do the job properly. Sway bars accomplish a different task than strut tower/brace bars. Putting an upgraded rear bar without also upgrading the front bar can cause the inside wheel to lift prematurely and result in loss of control. I am still going to add the coil overs and the front and rear sway bars as well. If you replace struts it's probably best to do all 4 to get some even wear. Your suspension and the strut towers … You'll end up with a mess. Do you mean stiffer? And would I be better off buying these in pairs for the front and back. Another term for sway bar is anti roll bar. Others have provided definitions, I’ll add personal thoughts. Also, anti roll bar tends to degrade ride quality; hitting a bump or pothole on one side would rock the body side to side. You’ll also see them used sometimes to connect the rear axle’s shock towers, but that has much less value, because shocks don’t put lateral loads into the body, only vertical loads. Also sound like sway bars are next, then maybe shocks/struts(I think the Mopar performance Scat pack kit for my R/T is as far as I want to go) I am glad I did some asking, because some of the strut tower braces look good, but if they don't do anything then, they are not for me. You won't see the benefit of it unless you do all four. I'd hit a bump at an angle and had a wheel off the ground, locking the diff. This type of construction is very cost effective but the body will twist and this bar adds strenght. For a street, daily, run what you like best, the rubber is more important. As others have said, a ‘strut bar’ or ‘tower brace’ is used to add rigidity to the body when it’s going around a corner. I would suggest you buy some books on suspension and handling. It makes the chassis more rigid, resulting in better handling, by preventing the strut towers … Sway bars (upgraded ones) can actually make a difference on stock vehicles. This means that the ability to write new posts and access various member features will go away. This bar merely prevents stiffens the where the strut is attached. JavaScript is disabled. What is the difference between a strut bar and a sway bar? Do the job yourself and, with the money you save, you can do all four corners. Sway Bar is supposed to increase steering response and handling while the Strut Tower is supposed to reduce body flex and improve handling. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. a strut bar may also interfere with the piping of a FMIC if you plan on getting 1 in the future. the sway bar helps to keep the car more level when cornering, giving you better grip and a more stable platform. Do not make the msitake of just buying the largest ones available like so many do, consult a suspension professional! ===> Click HERE to register for the Annual Spring LxFestival, DVMMC - Delaware Valley Modern Mopar Club, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: VENDOR PERFORMANCE REVIEWS, General LX Discussion (1st Gen - 2005 to 2010), General LX Discussion (2nd Gen - 2011 to 2014), Charger Discussion (1st Gen - 2006 to 2010), Charger Discussion (2nd Gen - 2011 to 2014), 300 General Discussion (1st Gen - 2005 to 2010), 300 General Discussion (2nd Gen - 2011 to 2014), 300 General Discussion (3rd Gen - 2015 + ), The Detroit Report (ok...Asia and Europe too), Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT Hellcat | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum, If this is your first visit, be sure to Also, what kind of handling characteristics would I get from each if I were only to do one or the other. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. As you turn the car, because the center of gravity of any car is above the tire’s contact patch, the car tends to roll in the opposite of the turning direction, kinda like kicking a floor lamp at its base. It adds rigidity to parts of the body that aren’t suppose to move, specifically suspension mounting points. Any recomendations to swap from old stock sway bar into something better? By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. Strut braces are a great thing because they do help and are cheap, but as far as making your handling better a good set of sways will be 100x more effective at improving feel. Sway bars actually are a bar of spring steel connected to each wheel and secured to the chassis. Now that you have provided context, we can give you good responses. Inproper use of antisway bars can adversely affect handling also. an sti rear sway bar killed my oversteer. Sway bars accomplish a different task than strut tower/brace bars. Its effect is as Chunky described, except that I’d argue that it keeps the tires in better relation to the road’s surface making going around curves more stable. If u do larger sway bars, do end links too. Rear strut tower brace, subframe bolts, any other bracing. Sway Bar is supposed to increase steering response and handling while the Strut Tower is supposed to … and during turning they transfer lateral grip from one end to another during cornering. Please join the Roadfly Facebook Group where members will be more than happy to answer your questions and provide help. but if you do sway bars do the front and rear at the same time so you can see the benefit! Another user suggested replacing all four at the same time. Better quality? totally recommend it. im currently saving for one. The 'quality' of Subaru OEM sway bar is quite high - probably better than most aftermarket bars. I'm looking to get a rear sway bar and a front strut tower brace. Strut bat attaches attaches to the top of the strut/shock towers and stiffens the body. if you are lowering your car and want to see the benefit, i definitley suggest an RCA kit to get rid of bump steer. nevermind. Strut bar is a brace. Completely removing that “understeer” can result in a driver not reailzing that the vehicle’s limits are being pushed and losing control suddenly and unexpectedly. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and you should tap into it, just beware that not all sways are meant for all situations, there are specific sizes for the feel/set up/use of the vehicle. The strut brace is more for reducing flex in the chassis and the sways are more for reducing/evening/inducing understeer, oversteer, flex, and body roll consequently. But professional race car drivers would notice the difference. I did run for a short period of time with them on the hardest setting (26mm front and 24mm rear). They can help a car stay level and handle noticably more stable in curves without significantly degrading the ride. FMIC? Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled, Difference between a strut bar and a sway bar. 22mm adjustable front and rear, along with a new set of endlinks.

Hardtack Recipe Pdf, Vogelweh Housing Map, Eduroam Login Qut, Hydro Mousse Liquid Lawn, Pontoon Lyrics Meaning, Kevin Lowe Family, Cabins For Sale In Garden Valley Idaho, Familyhood Korean Movie Eng Sub,