In this type of defense, defenders will aggressively switch on all contact screens. As the cutter is about to use your screen, you screen YOUR OWN MAN. One of the strengths of a switching man defense is that it can take away your normal scoring options within the flow of your offense. Pass and Cut strategy–Instead of screening, pass and cut on every pass, not giving the defense a chance to switch. h�bbd```b``��E �q=�d�fK�H��`�Q�xD2���`�0�+_ $}���'�M�f��H�F��D*�����30ݰl;#���L�? endstream endobj startxref <>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 5 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S>> 4 0 obj Run set plays. If you find yourself flicking through coaching manuals or scouring the internet for coaching advice you can trust then try Basketball Coach Weekly! We used to call this a "switching" man-to-man defense. %%EOF stream stream On paper, switching seems like the best option. 4 0 obj <> %%EOF 3. One of the strengths of a switching man defense is that it can take away your normal scoring options within the flow of your offense. The ability to attack passing lanes make switching man to man defenses an ideal defense to use against motion type offenses. /�u!>�}�K�q����`\*��D��"=�$p�b�F�Cz3}E�I��:2�|-���-�j�V�)wtJgv,���"�2�vM%���T��ɗQS��&H��&b�&R*?����dcӂ��������%��j����/�����ےR*���Ue�o��QxP��r��H�1�_�Y�������he��Ц=qW���oO�QU����č�����I�������^6O���9�\Nw�L�l�Bqbm�����"�=x���ȏ�-����җ6SN3Tq���v�M_e'��h?��A^ 嚞Q̍N\:�~��X�.���X����!�5W]����L\D:�!r��3Q�����։(G��X��DC��hH9���ъ�%_.�O��. 1. 4. One way to attack a switching defense is to set on ball screens that will create mismatches. endobj 43 0 obj <> endobj Whew!! On ball screens--One of the most difficult defensive tasks is guard on ball screens. In my current role as a mentor to coaches, I receive a lot of questions about practice and game strategies and ideas. If you want to learn how to develop a man to man defense step by step from the ground up, check out . SWITCHING MAN TO MAN DEFENSE (click on book cover for more information) Nothing is more confusing to an offense than a switching man-to-man defense. 1284 0 obj <> endobj endobj Of course, there will be times when players switch opponents or help each other on defense, but for the most part, each player is responsible for one player from the opposition. By Coach Brian Williams on April 12, 2013. Attacking)Switching)Man)to)Man) ByJohnPeterson) Assistant)Coach)–)Loyola)Marymount)University)! endobj You cannot run your screening game against it because the screens are ineffective. )Z�$��N��F����������������ج�SŁ�C�/��ǯ�z�Hl���E��V��O3k���k��m�}���h*A��>n��Z� C. A speaker and writer, he has authored 75 articles on coaching and is nationally published. %PDF-1.5 The question now is, who has the cutter? h�b```�bV � Ȁ �@1V����&��x0D0$EX�0_�I�8fؓ,����i��i�v~�i���[|�mIY����H��c���ɱ��Y�s��DK�9���EY��u�eVB�)J���jxa�� ljm��4�ZV~�psݸn�O�����noIW�B�%��9�K�e9� 1291 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[]/Index[1284 11]/Info 1283 0 R/Length 54/Prev 939481/Root 1285 0 R/Size 1295/Type/XRef/W[1 2 1]>>stream 5 0 obj endstream endobj 1285 0 obj <. <> Motion screens are mainly between like sized players, making it easier for the defense to switch. Learn how to combat often used offensive tactics attempted versus the Switching Man-to-Man Defense. Design by BuzzworthyBasketballMarketing.com, Basketball Coaching Stress - Resolutions for Impact, Coaching Basketball and Stress - The Stress Fact Sheet, Playing with Purpose on Purpose Part 2 “Advanced Purpose”, Walking the Talk: How Self-Reflection Can Make You a…. The ‘Run and Jump defense’ is a full-court man-to-man press with rules that encourage jump-switching and trapping. Coach Jackson's Pages Basketball Coaching Encyclopedic Resource of Drills, Offenses and Defenses. Mentored by Basketball Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson at Arizona. What makes the game great is all of the wrinkles and strategies that a coach can use. x��Zmo�8� ���C���^����nmS��+�����J�+y-9����g(ɢm�����,r��>3��_?�Ȿ����#?E����*��L(�q(V����_./^�//^�"C1~ *�? SWITCHING MAN TO MAN DEFENSE (click on book cover for more information). endstream endobj startxref In our base defense--we will hedge hard and fight over ball screens--once this is ingrained, it is very easy to add switching or hedging and going under the screen Our players default will always be the base defense concepts. There are five ideas that I’d like to share with you. hޤ�mo�6ǿʽ��H( %��������� %PDF-1.6 %���� During his first year using this defense, his team forced 18 turnovers per game, were 5th in the country in steals and held opponents' field goal percentage to 39%. Because he’s getting ready to switch onto the cutter, but he CAN’T because you are screening him. Whether you run pure motion, a set play system or continuities; having a few set plays vs switching defense is key to having success against a switching man-to-man defense. Recently I was asked how to beat a team that switches screens in their man to man defense. �μ�ڠ��A^(�h���V������Y���� ��#�H�Ow�gR�=i���%z%Yg�G�:PP"MZ9O��6�)X��b̑�XR`ز���(�~ c��P��yo��f��R�>��f�H�]q{=/��K[�l��4뚛�����?��V-�o6[S�2cs�@ozz+�[Yr��,��. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. endobj - How!often!do!you!see!it?! I think that sets are more difficult to switch than straight motion. Randy’s coaching resume includes positions at Arizona, Iowa State, Marquette, Drake, and Miami of Ohio, 5 Conference Championships and 5 NCAA appearances. You cannot run your screening game against it because the screens are ineffective. Nothing is more confusing to an offense than a switching man-to-man defense. I came across this VHS (yes, an actual VHS) of Coach K’s Duke team man-to-man defense. Simply, when the ball is on the opposite side of the floor from you (and the person you are guarding), you can drop off your man a little into the lane and "sag" toward the middle to help cut off the passing lanes. You cannot run your screening game against it because the screens are ineffective. So why isn’t switching the norm for man-to-man defense in basketball? Jim Huber’s Man to Man Defense. What makes the game great is all of the wrinkles and strategies that a coach can use. Learn how to teach the Switching Man-to-Man Defense. 64 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<59A5C2509C9AC9C9B3F360D19C38315E><4A615CDE68112D4982EDB3FCF58694D1>]/Index[43 37]/Info 42 0 R/Length 108/Prev 118273/Root 44 0 R/Size 80/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream The disadvantage to switching is that, in some cases, it can cause severe mismatches. Switching on defense is one tactic that’s becoming more and more popular; Villanova and Michigan, the final two teams standing last year, employed switch-heavy defenses most of the season. In this type of defense, defenders will aggressively switch on all contact screens. %PDF-1.4 %���� This article was written by Coach Randy Brown. �D�4�,�d1pV������e�u��C]�/��+��3wK�ю��/����5�ü��b���X!�U ��I�x�@ P���7ñ�ֻ&S��X�w1|S�O����$��zK��޺�'t GK4�K�y�@�S[�Q����!�g��l9�ο ��S���8,�C��8�=��� u�K�{FԀ�.���]|$lrqX)q�\���=���ۍg. h�bbd``b`~ $ׂ�� �0�x First of all, there is an incorrect stereotype that it’s a lazy man’s defense. 2 0 obj Learn how to teach the Switching Man-to-Man Defense. ?�����Ð�ݐ��������?W��������7Wu���/��M7�y_6�0do~�?�Ø����M�uv����1vw�����o��գ���'��㛼�O������&ÿOn�&?�o�ܟ�Ǎ�v�c/7�S�X}\D-�1����w���b>�lp&�|��}�~g��4FS5Ek`Eg��c�� &8�cֻ�8ib�V������EZo���������~|_g?��ο߸��LQ5M�w�X������l�?�����q��?�JQ�)�W�����J�����6�϶���v e���v�֮.+b�L ��`]v��u}��]�v~���q�56�Š�X��t�2]~r��v� �]`Pg1�ԙ�P{*��@������^j��3[�ʩ�p�Y~?"�. The man-to-man defense involves all 5 defensive players on the court being allocated one opposition player who they’re accountable for defending whenever they’re on defense. The Winning Attitude: Duke’s Team Man-to-Man Defense with Coach Mike Krzyzewski. This will really confuse the defense as you are getting open easily on every screen. 1) Zones Defense of any kind – 1-3-1, 2-3, 3-2, etc 2) Trapping 3) Double teaming of the ball Man-to-Man defense does allow: 1) Help-side Defense (Helping off the ball to contain dribble penetration, cutters or screening but the help defender must make an attempt to return to guarding his offensive opponent once help is no longer needed). He has passion for the game of basketball and works as a basketball consultant and mentor for coaches. His 18 years in college basketball highlights a successful 23-year career. ��O The ability to attack passing lanes make switching man to man defenses an ideal defense to use against motion type offenses. Whether you run pure motion, a set play system or continuities; having a few set plays vs switching defense is key to having success against a switching man-to-man defense. I have seen this work against very good man to man college teams so I know it is technically sound and a good strategy to go to against switching. This full-court defense is best suited for a team of athletes that want to play an uptempo style game. Screen your own man–I know this sounds crazy, but think about this tactic. 0it�A�R����(�@Pr�0��C�!�"hpP-�����P��������DŽٻ�A�+C����� �O67�(T��w�aBuO4T�8sd�f"-�����3�0 �xA This will open the floor and allow your post players to gain good position in the block areas. Set Plays vs Switching Defense. Ingredients of a Successful Basketball Practice. His efforts have helped develop 12 NBA players including Steve Kerr, Sean Elliott, and Jaamal Tinsley.

Endeavour Price In Lucknow, Param Singh Singer Instagram, Safety Values Of Swimming, Lake Orion Community Schools Facebook, Samsung Ru7100 Price, Life Fitness Treadmill Model 95te, How To Get Back At Your Ex For Hurting You, Portable Electric Fireplace Tv Stand, Illinois Hunting Digest 2020-2021, Grandpa Potts Name, Agni Pariksha Book Author,