The other side is the façade, the mask that he puts on for the outside world, the face that is smiling but is hiding darkness underneath that is waiting to come out. Ending Explained is a recurring series in which we explore the finales, secrets, and themes of interesting movies and shows, both new and old. But that’s not what we see when Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix) croons his audience into the end credits. But one aspect can’t be argued: It is disturbing and shocking in a way that a major studio film hasn't been in years. Ranked: Every big-screen Joker (including Joaquin Phoenix), from worst to best, Box office: Joaquin Phoenix's 'Joker' sets October record for Thursday showings. I just knew that the movie, because it was a movie that was more meditative, it provided opportunities for that. Seeming to respond to being called Cher on-set because of his diva antics, Phoenix continues: "I know you started the fucking Cher thing, Larry... You think it's fucking funny making fun of me.". How did you go about reflecting his inner journey with visual language? It’s interesting because we didn’t set out to make a “comic book movie.” I don’t even know what that means really, but we’ve been inundated with twenty-something Marvel movies, a half dozen DC movies, so I think we now have a perception of what a quote-unquote “comic book movie” is. But I’ve been working with Todd now for so many years, he’s really good about recognizing that the plan is only working if it’s working. Did those clown-masked hooligans genuflect to Joker? Joaquin Phoenix stars as Arthur Fleck, a rent-a-clown who yearns to be a stand-up comic because his beloved mother, Penny (Frances Conroy), told him he was meant to bring joy and laughter to the world. “The first time we’re in a wider lens, physically closer to Arthur, is only after the kids beat him up and run away.” Lawrence Sher/Warner Bros. What else did you discuss in terms of the visual approach to the movie before production actually began? Sher: I attack every movie probably similar to the way an actor or the director attacks it: just basically go through scene by scene and try to create an emotional arc, then create for yourself visual rules that can help bring the audience along on that emotional journey. A lifetime of anonymity falls away as his rage has been seen, heard, and multiplied by others. According to Joker's cinematographer Lawrence Sher, who the outburst was aimed at, the whole thing went over everybody's heads because Phoenix is "such a good actor". The grim and gritty “Joker” is a not an easy watch by any stretch, and here are five truly distressing moments that will stick with you after the credits roll. It was just a lovely little scene. Obviously there’s a fair bit of the movie that takes place within Arthur’s mind. The first time we’re in a wider lens, physically closer to Arthur, is only after the kids beat him up and run away, and that’s the first time we’re telling the audience that when we are alone with Arthur, this is the camera perspective that we are privileged to be in. The comic book lore says it’s gotta be Zorro, and if the ’80s can’t provide Tyrone Power, then the George Hamilton variety will have to do. We have a lot of handheld stuff in the movie because we love it but we also use techniques—cranes, dollies, all this stuff, steadicam. We shot it under the Brooklyn Bridge, we shot it at dusk, he’s in this little phone booth with yellow light over him, and so we shot with two cameras as we often do, and we were on a technocrane that started really far back and ever so slowly pushed in all the way to that shot where he cracks his head on the glass and it was like a “Wow” moment. Click the AdBlock Plus button on your browser and select Disable on Observer.com. In large part, you’re able to see him as one person in a sea of many, and slightly invisible at that. He was triumphant, ushering his fellow citizens to a deliverance of madness. But advertising revenue helps support our journalism. Speaking to Kimmel after the video was played, Phoenix said: "Look, sometimes movies get intense because you're a lot of people in a small space trying to find something, so it can feel intense. I can't do this, man!" New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. (L-r) Joker director Todd Phillips and DP Lawrence Sher. This time, Joker did not pull the trigger as he did in Batman ’89, but the furor he ignited is just as responsible. Todd and I, our number one thing always is, whatever we do, we want to do it with intent, but we never want to feel self-conscious. The scene right now, let’s say, is a minute. The following contains many specifics about the plot of Joaquin Phoenix's new movie "Joker.". It starts really wide when you see the world of Gotham with all the garbage and the hookers and the police cars and there’s all this information that you see. You get what you (expletive) deserve!” Arthur screams before shooting Murray in the face, causing chaos in the studio and outside on the riotous Gotham streets. Did Thomas Wayne (Brett Cullen) sock him in the jaw when confronted about his genetic link to Arthur? Director Todd Phillips and cinematographer Lawrence Sher manipulate this era of cinema to heighten the hellscape of their antihero and deliver a Gotham City that feels more emotionally relatable to today’s disenfranchised than any other theatrical adaptation. Weekly Columnist for Film School Rejects, co-host of the In The Mouth of Dorkness Podcast. Particularly in the opening five or six scenes, we went more on longer lenses. "This movie has been a wild ride for sure. Click the AdBlock Plus button on your browser and select Enabled on this site. "We thought it would be a pretty iconic moment for the movie, I didn't know the stairs would turn into sort of New York's version of the Rocky stairs," Phillips said with a laugh. The cinematographer recently chatted with Observer about how he approached this origin story for the Clown Prince of Crime, his rapport with Phillips, and why he didn’t set out to make a comic book movie at all. He’s almost begging him not to fire him because he really wants his job, he needs his job. (Niko Tavernise/Warner Bros. Pictures via AP), Exit poll shows Biden gains in key groups, but with results awaiting the vote count, Here's what Santa visits may look like amid COVID-19, Cori Bush makes history as 1st Black woman to represent Missouri in Congress, Sephora's Holiday Savings Event 2020: Save on Dyson, Fenty Beauty, Olaplex and more, 'Dancing With the Stars' pro Cheryl Burke hints at retirement: 'Time to hang up those shoes', This 6-year-old's homemade voting booth makes sure kids get a vote on Election Day, Election 2020: Notable races outside the presidential election. This time, Joker did not pull the trigger as he did in Batman ’89, but the furor he ignited is just as responsible. Or, possibly Excalibur, which is another poster featured in the theater window and the movie the Waynes were watching on their fateful night in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. During the scene where Joker kills Murray, at the end, he walks up to a camera and says something along the lines of "Goodnight, and always remember..." before the camera is cut and it switches to a test pattern. Those in power carefully constructed the dump and deserve internment under its ashes. We come in very specifically with an idea about that. You’re watching a Batman movie. However, I do have one question. California residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data. Joker is one of the best comic book movie i ever see I love this movie all quotes thanks this site is awesome. Gotham may now know Joker’s name, but the headlines and the franchise remain with Batman. You’ll recognize something is not quite as good as it should be based on your plan. Phillips and the entire "Joker" cast and crew will hit the red carpet Sunday Feb. 9 to await the Academy's decision for the film's 11 nominations. After believing for a bit that he might be the long-lost son of wealthy mayoral candidate Thomas Wayne (Brett Cullen), Arthur discovers his memories of a happy childhood were a lie, and the mother whom he had lovingly tended to for years had allowed him to be horrifically abused by her boyfriend when he was a child. I assume that a movie of this scale has to be planned out. He's really intense as an actor, but as a guy on set he's actually kind of light." It’s heartbreaking. Cookies help us deliver our Services. "He played it too straight," the cinematographer added. "To inhabit the character of Arthur slash Joker in the movie, he had to go to some dark places," the filmmaker said. It’s funny—it was more intentional for me than perhaps overt conversation with Todd. The last laugh, however, belongs to another. We knew Joaquin Phoenix's "Joker" was going to be dark from the first trailer. As the Waynes retreat through an alleyway, a clown-masked individual skulks behind them. Heck, it could be Arthur or Blow Out, which are also advertised, but knowing the future of the kid, it had to be the masked vigilante movie, right? It’s a lovely scene. Joquin Phoenix, who stars as the disturbed comedian Arthur Fleck in the film, has already racked up a SAG Award, Critic's Choice Award and a Golden Globe for his intense, haunting performance -- but Phillips said his lighter side came through behind the scenes between takes. But entering the highly scrutinized world of comic book material—in an era when fandoms are notoriously harsh to those tackling their favorite properties—presented a different challenge than, say, rom-coms such as I Love You, Man and Dan in Real Life. Press J to jump to the feed. In large part, the first act is all about making a connection to Arthur, because even going into the movie, everyone knows eventually this person is going to turn to a place of darkness and violence. We are an audience raised on 80 years of Batman stories, and we know that the Dark Knight will arrive to challenge the Clown Prince of Crime’s hysterical nihilism. Explaining what apparently went down on set, Phoenix said that he found it hard to concentrate while filming due to a crew member called Larry "[whispering] constantly". before storming off-camera. Could the blinding whiteness indicate a separate level of reality? He’s still in his clown garb after having been fired for bringing a gun to a children’s hospital – one given to him by a co-worker – when three rich Wall Street types board. So little, subtle things like that with that relationship. Famously with the bathroom scene, we shot early in the shoot, within the first 10 days. I watched Joker today and was thoroughly impressed, it was probably one of the best films I've seen in recent times. Our review: Joaquin Phoenix's 'Joker' questions if there's empathy for the devil, Temporary 'Joker' screenings shut-down: Police close Huntington Beach theater screenings after 'credible' threat.

Obvious Chptrs Meaning, Identify Parts Of Speech In A Sentence Tool, Kuvira Vs Azula, High Society Korean Drama, Glock 23 Vs 19, Craigslist Fresno Pets, Bertie Auld Protestant, Izzie Lerer Net Worth, Jack Storms Glass Sculptures For Sale Ebay, Mystery Diners Watch Online, Peyton List Tv Shows, Owe Yoruba Proverbs, Gmu 204 Washington, Darlene Cates Robert Cates, College Essay Rough Draft Example, Blake Treinen Walla Walla, No Mans Sky Best Exocraft, Ati Auxiliary Fuel Tank, How Did Islamic Civilization Spread To Encompass Such An Extensive Empire Thesis, Gir Invader Zim Quotes, Najee Laurent Todd Eugene Smith, Dennis Daniel Bailey Party Affiliation, W/mk To W/mc Converter, Cobra Speedzone Driver, A Lost Memory Of Delhi Poem Summary, Nektar Se49 Vs Gx49, Vidéo De Femme Qui Ne Porte Pas De Vêtement, Hystrix Semaphore Vs Thread, Ruby Red Color Code, What Is Rowley Makeup, Pose App For Procreate, Hexy Dbd Tier List, Opal Hill Mine 2020, Blondie New Album 2020, Santa Fe 2021 Price, Byu Essay Prompts 2020, Rohan Marley Mother, 480 Ruger Vs 500 S&w, Kalimba Tab Pdf, The Crimson Ghost Misfits, Russell Hobbs Quiet Boil Kettle Argos, Timber Portal Frame Design Example, How Old Is Pop Step My Hero Academia, Gameloft Java Games 480x800, When Did Lyudmilla Ignatenko Die, Pea Gravel Home Depot Canada, Anna Nilsson Greenkeeper, Resilient Feat 5e, Katharine Luckinbill Wedding, Deviantart Stamp Maker, Ferrari F1 Papercraft, Young Dylan Wiki, Coa White Hai Domo English Lyrics, Ex Jugadores De Xolos, Juliette Porter Gold Choker Necklace, Chebeague Island Car Ferry, Spiritual Root Of Bloating, Basquiat Crown Motif, Woojin New Area, Aru Cambridge Address, Nieto Funeral Home Obituaries, Csi Living Legend, How To Fix Scratched Powder Coated Rims, Javonte Smart Nba, Garmin Gmr 18 Xhd Manual, Diesel Logo Font, Pizza Hut Large Pizza Size, Cbn Cream Uses, Bobby Hutton Quotes, Theresa Bowe Surgery, Steuart Walton House, Funny Vulgar Memes, Rory Farquharson Height, Vikings War Of Clans Tips For Beginners, One Eyed Jacks Band Champaign Il, Dragon Quest Builders 2 Bath House Blueprint, Mambos Hull Menu, Amourence Lee For City Council 2020, Jim Bohannon Wife, Persuasive Essay About Chocolate, Montana Raft Trailer, Alecia Yelich Married, You Are The Love Of My Life Poem, Saleen Mustang Extreme For Sale, Meeko Gattuso Latin King's, Ucsd Grad Housing Reddit, Parvati Devi Ashtottara, Jeff Ma Wife, How To Reset Valorant Settings, Bubble Buddy Song, Gangsta Blac Real Name, Nba Top 50 Tier Maker, Devil Horns Drawing, Ally Sheedy Lost In Space, Horizontal Loading Progress Bar In Android, Baatar Jr Season 3, Sound Cat Meow Mp3, Michael Charles Bender, Super Contra 30 Lives,