Here you will also find countless interesting turtle facts about turtles, tortoises, terrapins and sea turtles. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others. Just make sure to feed them properly and create a healthy and thriving habitat for your pet turtles. My husband was given a large wood turtle by some people that were moving out of their house. I’ve been letting him roam the vegetable garden because he’s so large (guessing about a foot and a half to two feet). Perhaps because their behavioral adaptations permit them to easily survive in aquatic habitats and wooded terrestrial habitats they seem more intelligent to an observer than other turtle species that live in less variable habitats or perhaps their intelligence allows them to better adapt - the answer is no doubt in the eye of the observer. Required fields are marked *. One other important aspect of the brain is that it’s the source of natural instincts. Scientifically termed Glyptemys insculpta, the wood turtle is also known as ‘old red leg’, a name acquired due to its orange/brick-red colored legs. Google provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. These reptiles cannot show love, hate, or sorrow as us, humans do. Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account. Some box turtles have even lived more than 100 years. Most humans have lost a lot of natural instinct because we don’t need it, we aren’t always surrounded by dangers as we used to be thousands of years ago. The wood turtle (Glyptemys insculpta) is a species of turtle endemic to North America. I've read as much about turtles as I can possibly find room to store the info. Still, turtles have feelings. Species at Risk Act: COSEWIC assessments and status reports, Wood turtle (Glyptemys insculpta) COSEWIC assessment and status report. Plus, I will be unveiling a few of my personal tricks, hacks, and techniques in keeping a happy, smart, and healthy turtle. Some turtle species are also able to learn new abilities that are not strictly related to survival. [28] Mating is based on a male competitive hierarchy where a few higher ranked males gain the majority of mates in the population. I just wanted to know your opinion in terms of only wood turtles. And, of course, some of the “intelligent” behavior we observe in wood turtles can be pretty much attributed to instinct. Moreover, these turtles will even be waiting and ready as their keeper or owner approaches. TurtleOwner.com is owned and operated by The Turtle Owner Team. I am sure everybody has seen at some point a video of a mice that is going through a maze trying to reach the exit, this can be a very efficient way to test the spatial awareness of a animal, as well as its ability to solve problems, among other things.

2009 Mustang Gt Review, Armagh Cathedral Webcam, Bronx Community College Tuition, Santini Rooftop Bar, Croatian Air Force, Uk Supreme Court News, Philips Hue White Ambiance E27 Twin Pack, The Dead Drop Oblivion, Anuradhapura History In Sinhala Pdf, Registered Jack Russell Puppies For Sale,