This was so common an occurrence that a settler coming into a tavern the morning after a fight and seeing an ear on the floor would touch it with his toe and casually ask, "Whose ear? And that started out as a synonym for New Englander. No one ever explained why this was more typical of Indiana than of Illinois or Ohio. He traced the word back to "hoozer," in the Cumberland dialect of England. That Indiana rivermen were so spectacularly successful in trouncing or "hushing" their adversaries in the brawling that was then common that they became known as "hushers," and eventually Hoosiers. But by all odds the most serious student of the matter was Jacob Piatt Dunn, Jr., Indiana historian and longtime secretary of the Indiana Historical Society. The distinguished Hoosier writer, Meredith Nicholson (The Hoosiers) and many others have inquired into the origin of Hoosier. Add the macaroni to the tomato mixture in the pot, and continue simmering until all of the ingredients are thoroughly heated. Copyright © 2020 State of Indiana - All rights reserved. As Meredith Nicholson observed: "The origin of the term 'Hoosier' is not known with certainty." The speculation and argument have gone on ever since. Those lessons learned from my folks ingrained themselves deep within this Coalcracker and I — like my Mom, Pop, Nana, and Pappy — will take them to the grave with me. Hoosiers bear their nickname proudly. There was once a contractor named Hoosier employed on the Louisville and Portland Canal who preferred to hire laborers from Indiana. Season as desired with salt and pepper. 1 10-ounce can of chicken broth One can only wonder how long before this Hoosier was used orally. Everything that could be put to use was — from recycled household items to leftovers in the fridge. The ingredients were added together in a pot, simmered for a little bit and served up in bowls. Lori is a work-at-home mom living in Noblesville, a suburb of Indianapolis, Indiana. What is its origin? . Take care of them while you have them. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window). Many generations of Hoosier achievement have endowed the term with connotations that are strong and friendly . You can use stewed tomatoes for added flavor or plain canned tomatoes. over a slow fire. During this period, many things were nick-named after Hoover including the Hoover blanket (a newspaper used for a blanket) and Hoover flags (when a person turned their empty pockets inside out). Please make sure to add this address to your contacts list in order to keep receiving the emails from me that you signed up for! He claimed that Hoosier originated in the pugnacious habits of our early settlers. I spend a lot of my afternoons with my kids doing art projects — and trying to think of things to do with all of the kids’ artwork — so easy and inexpensive meals like this one get two thumbs up in my book! Both sets of my grandparents managed to keep the family homes even though they were poor bootleg miners with children to feed and care for. Add salt and pepper to taste. We keep your data private and share your data only with third parties that make this service possible. . Quite as plausible as these was the facetious explanation offered by "The Hoosier Poet," James Whitcomb Riley. It is one of the oldest of state nicknames and has had a wider acceptance than most. You can use many different types of beans; chick peas, kidney beans, black beans, northern beans, etc. Combine the contents of the cans and the hot dog slices in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Kids love the ingredients, the staples to make the dish are inexpensive, and it lends itself to being easily personalized to your family’s tastes and budget. But where did Hoosier come from? “Wasteful spending” was unknown in my Schuylkill County home. It’s a really easy and hearty “Midwest” type of meal (hence the word Hoosier) and it is simple to put together, too. Beans may be rinsed.. True, there are Buckeyes of Ohio, the Suckers of Illinois and the Tarheels of North Carolina -- but none of these has had the popular usage accorded Hoosier. . With Manu Feildel, Gary Mehigan, Matt Preston, Aly. Raid the pantry and take the opportunity to use up the assortment of “little bits” of pasta that collect in the bottom of the boxes cluttering up your shelves. Break up the tomatoes into small chunks as the mixture heats. Apply for an Indiana State Historical Marker, Search the digital collection of Indiana's Statehood documents, Read the Current Historical Marker Program Guidelines. And in August, former Indiana governor James B. Ray announced that he intended to publish a newspaper, The Hoosier, at Greencastle, Indiana. Decisions affecting the entire family were discussed by the entire family. Wash and peel (if you want, or you can leave the peel on) the potatoes. . Link back to this post for the directions (as in “Get directions here”). Some of the ways they cut down costs in the kitchen were by using simple, inexpensive ingredients as the main element in a dish and “Hoover Stew” fit the bill. When a visitor hailed a pioneer cabin in Indiana or knocked upon its door, the settler would respond, "Who's yere?" It is not hard to see how this word was attached to a hill dweller or highlander. Everyone pulled together and we all realized that getting by required give and take from all of us. Apparently the poet felt that it was sufficiently familiar to be understandable to his readers. The Hoosier Racing Tire Drag Racing Division has been producing winning race tires for over 27 years. All original content appearing here is Copyright 2010 to Present, Lori Fogg, All Rights Reserved. Serve! The distinguished Hoosier writer, Meredith Nicholson (The Hoosiers) and many others have inquired into the origin of Hoosier. . Put the sausage, green beans, and potatoes into the Crock Pot. Cook macaroni according to the instructions on the box. . Hoover Stew was served in soup kitchens across the country during The Great Depression in the early 1930’s, designed to give even the poorest families something to eat. Most folks made the best of their situation in order to make ends even come close to meeting. On social media, share only the LINK to this page. Indiana flatboatmen taking corn or maize to New Orleans came to be known as "hoosa men" or Hoosiers.

Bottlenose Dolphin Phylum, Funny Russian Poems, Thomas The Train Theme Song Remix, Watch Ridicule English Subtitles, Kendra Baker Snap Taco, Sway Bar Vs Strut Tower Brace, What Happens When Someone Flatlines, Tough Talk For A Fella Tik Tok, All Biss Key, Deutschland 89 Release, Coco Jones Age, The Eight Chinese Drama Recap, Shannon Kook Height, Blackboard Collaborate Virtual Background, Ninja Cp301 Vs Cp307, Praying Mantis Eggs For Sale Home Depot, Daisy Earles Death, Tesla K20 Ethereum Hashrate, Centennial Police Scanner, Is Trevor Marmalade Dead, Mpg To Kml, Horus Persona 5, Con Te Partiro Sheet Music, Ling Ling Piano, Brian Regan Siblings, Sephirot Ffxiv Lyrics, John Jenkins Nfl Salary, Are Hubert And Thomas Keller Related, Constable John Thompson Rcmp, Polish Mp6 Gas Mask, Cha Cha Roblox, Nicole Flender Age, Rpg Maker Mv Sprites, Proteusco Clothing Sponsorship, Los Retros Real Name, How To Recover Deleted Messages On Tiktok Android, Kandahar Air Base Living Conditions 2019, Nissan Leaf Battery Module, Steven Universe Remix, Baby I'm Sorry I'm So Lonely Tiktok, Twins Announcer Dies, Colin Mckean Cause Of Death, Haiti Essay Topics, Debbie Whittle Antonio, Tony Yayo Wiki, Laurie Mitchell Bio, Rapper Kurupt Net Worth, Hsc Economics Essay, M17 Gas Mask, ツインレイ ランナー 崩壊, Brother Names For Millie, Wood Appliques Michaels, Ufc 239 Ppv Buys, Funny Donkey Gif, Duffy Boat Cover, For The King Lore Farming, London Colney Fc Twitter,