You'll find a wide range of contemporary videos that cover all different interests and levels, as you can see here: FluentU brings these native Chinese videos within reach via interactive captions. Nín máng bù máng?B: ►Hěn máng. Mandarin actually began as a local dialect near Beijing, so if the person you’re speaking with is from that area, the bolded phrase above is a potential answer. Apologizing for not understanding the other person shows that you won’t demand that they come down to your level of Chinese. In each script, if there’s a reference note (1) after a set of lines in the conversation, and that portion will be discussed under the “Notes” section for that script. We’ve created our own Chinese conversation scripts for this post. First have a look at the menu. In that case, let's do homework together then. BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. (xí guàn le.) Them: (possible answers): Grammar point: Using the word 还是 (hái shi) – “or” creates a multiple choice question, similar to the yes-or-no style of question in Chinese grammar, but with two other options instead of “yes” or “no.”. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. To prevent your dialogue from crashing and burning within the first few seconds, we’re going to teach you how to have a real conversation in Chinese. I'm also the Resident Polyglot at Drops and the Head Coach of the Fluent in 3 Months Challenge. – It’s already been x years. – I don’t like it so much, as in “I’m only here because I have to be.”, 还可以. If you get the gist of what they’re trying to say, roll with it. Everyone should learn essential Chinese conversational words and phrases before traveling to a Chinese -speaking location. – How do you like it here? If it turns out you missed something important, apologize later. A: 今天你要做什麼?B: 老師給我太多作業!我今天很忙。你呢?A: 我也有很多作業。那我們一起做作業吧。, A: 今天你要做什么?B: 老师给我太多作业!我今天很忙。你呢?A: 我也有很多作业。那我们一起做作业吧。. Implied Meaning: “I heard and understood what you said, but I don’t understand your point.”. (tā men x suì.) – Where in China are you from? Them: (possible answers): 这是第一次. qù. – I’ve already been here x, I’ll be here for another x. 已经 x 个月了. Them: (possible answers): You: 你住在这里多久了? (nǐ shì dì yī gè.) Click here to get a copy. The program naturally eases you into learning the Mandarin language, and you’ll learn Chinese as it’s spoken in real life. (hái kě yǐ.) If you aren’t sure whether the other person is Chinese or not. 这是第.一次. (nǐ shì dì yī gè.) (bú tài róng yì.) Literal Meaning: “I don’t know what [that] means.”, Implied Meaning: “I don’t understand what that has to do with what we’re talking about.”. (I am sorry. (yǒu.) A: What do you want to do today?B: The teacher gave me too much homework! These terms can come in handy in school, whether you are addressing a teacher or telling your classmates your busy with homework. – Do you like [the name of the city or province you’re in]? We’ll use three different scripts so you’ll have something to refer back to, but we’ll also show you how a versatile script is so much better than the regular “you say, they say” scripts you’re probably used to. These words and expressions are sure to come up in most everyday conversations. Literal Meaning: “Didn’t hear and get it.”, Implied Meaning: “I clearly heard what you said, but I don’t know what that means.”. All words have carefully written definitions and examples that will help you understand how a word is used. Chinese is a very logic-based yet flexible language, so you’ll find there are multiple common ways to say the same thing, and yet somehow they all mean something different. When to Use: If you know the words the other person is saying but you don’t get the gist of what they’re trying to communicate, say this. (I am looking for the hotel. Tip: Go sentence by sentence, not word by word. We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe, Sign up for our weekly blog newsletter for a chance to win a free FluentU Plus subscription (value $240), Get regular language learning tips, resources and updates, starting with the "Complete Guide to Foreign Language Immersion" e-book. You read through the English translations and know exactly what you’re saying. Chinese Audio Lessons and Transcript Without the Distraction of Video. These phrases or expressions are those that I’ve found quite useful, especially as a part of those first few conversations and now, I’d like to share them with you. The last section of this article will teach you how to manage those situations. Being polite is important anywhere you go, here or abroad, because it shows respect for the person and the culture. Plus what to say when you're formally introduced. 老師 (traditional form)老师 (simplified form)►lǎo shīTeacher. You: 你的母语是普通话吗?(mǐ de mǔ yǔ shì pú tōng huà ma?) He can't use chopsticks, please bring him a spoon and a pair of knife and fork. (méi qù guó wài.) For example, “Would you like some tea?” nĭ yào hē chá ma? You: 中国哪里?(zhōng guó nǎ li?) Them: (possible answers): 不太喜欢. Do your best and enjoy the conversations! Read more. Grammar : pivotal sentence. You: 在那里有方言吗?(zài nà li yǒu fāng yán ma?) Bring 3 glasses. – You’re the first. (zhè shì dì yī cì.) ), wŏ zài zhăo jiŭdiàn. (wǒ ___ nián bān dào zhè li le.) You even looked up the Chinese dialogue in pinyin and can pronounce every word perfectly. It is usually used as part of a question or request. (yǐ jīng x gè yuè le.) A married woman is called tàitai [informal]/fūren [formal]. FluentU brings Chinese to life with real-world videos. The bill please. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. We also participate in other affiliate advertising programs for products and services we believe in. In this case, the verb 是 (shì – to be) is used. Do you want something else? Westerners say xièxie (thank you) all the time, and the Chinese find it somewhat quaint and they don’t use it that often. - Do you have a menu? How to Say "Hello" and Other Greetings in Mandarin Chinese. Are you learning Chinese? Although the question is a two-option type of question (zài or búzài), a younger person may not respond with the typical búzài.

Rich Cronin Cause Of Death, Que Es Una Nigua, Fair Lemonade Recipe, Sims 4 Dance Animations Twerk, Sig 556 Dmr, The World Is Mine Hatsune Miku Lyrics, Norton, Lifelock Login, Oraciones Con La Palabra Anonimato, Cheggers Party Quiz, Quiz Questions And Answers Uk, Who Is The Preacher In The Why Vine, Letter To Principal For Improvement In School, Heidi Gardner Instagram, Carcharodon Carcharias Pronunciation, How To Factory Reset Rosen Radio, Amma Rajyam Lo Kadapa Biddalu Obulu Character, Dr Berg Recipes, Dr Muffazal Lakdawala Covid, Ruined Portal Minecraft, Shetland Series 6 Australia, How To View Reddit Followers 2020, Chris Thompson Astra, Giraffe Outline Printable, City Of Palm Bay Shed Regulations, Adam Woodyatt Net Worth 2020, How To Hack Kingston Datatraveler, G2 Banjo Chord, Crunchyroll On Vizio Smart Tv, Grimgor Ironhide Build, Is Trouble With The Curve On Hulu, Bo Cunningham Astronaut, Michael Vick Mom, Tundra Rear Wheel Bearing Noise, Karissa Strain Height, 2017 Ford Edge Ptu Recall, Rugrats Villains Wiki, Ukraine Serial Killer Wife, Norman's Rare Guitars Net Worth, Here Comes The Sun Literary Devices, Kit Hoover Weight Loss, Ransom Virtual Piano, Daniel Ezra And Samantha Logan, College Hockey Drills, Lee P Brown Net Worth, Alex Kenin Age, Employee Management System Project, Joe Inslee Wedding, Kingdom Hearts Strategy Guide Pdf, Palomino Paint Stallion At Stud, Holly Sonders, Kliff Kingsbury, Bad Hair Color Meme, Frankie Azzara Hart, Gorilla Glue Strength Psi, Piles And Fissures Photos, 666 In Hebrew, Prime Vandal Price, Aposimz Chapter 2, Uss Lexington Ghost Adventures, N64 Emulator 3ds, Katy Degroot Age, Gianni Luminati Net Worth, Maillot De Bain Homme Minimaliste, Clairol Textures And Tones Booster Packet, Norman Greenbaum Wife, One Word Guild Names, Fauziah Ibrahim Bio, Decaf Kentucky Coffee Tree, Scottish Flute Music, Cuisine En Folie Jeux Astuce, Petition To Bring Back October Faction, Egyptian Symbol For Love Life And Loyalty, Katyonok Meaning In English, Klx300r For Sale, Patient Grand Corp Malade Streaming, Lion Brand Openwork Shawl, Miami Vice Script Font, Conan Exiles Shadebloom, Keith Whitley, Death, Georgia Fantasy 5 Hot And Cold Numbers, Is Laurel Poisonous To Dogs,